WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I am new here, and I posted on the beginner's forum a request for suggestion about a nice black dial 1958 watch (my birth year) that wasn't too much expensive. I got advices about Benrus, Gruen (but these seem very difficult to date), Omega, Longines and Bulova.
So today I was looking on ebay, just to familiarise with some of these watches. Searching for Omega constellation on ebay, I found two very nice black dial 1958 watches that seem to me a bit too nice to be all original/year correct/genuine. But I don't know practically anything about these watches, so I'd like that someone here could take a look and tell his opinion. Thanks.
The first watch is this: VINTAGE OMEGA CONSTELLATION S/STEEL 505 CALIBER BLACK PIE-PAN DIAL NICE WATCH!!! | eBay They don't even talk about a refinished dial, mmm...
The other one is this: MAGNIFICENT 1958 OMEGA CONSTELLATION DATE - X-HAIR DIAL - SIGNED 5X - SERVICED | eBay

P.S. I'm adding here another one from german ebay, but there are very little specifications about this one, except for pics: http://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-Constellation-schwarz-Automatik-Datum-Herren-ca-1958-Vintage-selten-/200686536581?pt=DE_Kleidung_Schmuck_Accessoires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item2eb9d98785

A happy and prosperous 2012 to you all, and many thanks for educating newbies like me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One feature that always catches my eye on a Constellation is the crown. Which only one of those has the nice one that is found on Constellations.

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
None have original finishes on the dial. Only the crosshair dialed model has the correct crown. Be very wary of any black dialed vintage watch, some brands more than others. The paint and materials almost never held up perfectly and show some type of aging on a pre-1964-ish Omega. Here's an original for comparison:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts