WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have t decide if I want to keep this watch (buy it or not)
It is a 15 J Swiss movement trench style watch with a black dial in all sterling silver (unpolished with nice aged patina) Radium has been removed, crystal is in nice condition-nice hands and black dial
On the dial is Wilson and Gill 139 41 Regent St (London)
The watch is nice looking visually and is running and keeping good time over the last 24 hours
I have been looking for a trench watch and this looks like one to me-is it a trench watch?
Opinions? Thoughts? Information? Buy or not?
Any ideas on the value of this watch or a fair price I should pay will be greatly appreciated
Also where can I find long straps for these 6mm wide lugs on trench watches. I need a long strap to fit me wrist
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

Thanks

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The case on that trench watch is very desirable.

I'd bet that it was made by Dennison and that it's semi-hermetic.

If I remember correctly that case alone weighs about 17 grams, quite heavy and robust.

It should measure about 34mm - 35mm across with the original crown.

Dennison began making those cases around 1915 I think.

These should be a date letter code for the Birmingham assay office that will give you a year for the case.

Black dials especially in good condition like this one are always worth a few bucks more.

We need to see the movement and the inside of the case back in order to give you better details on this watch though.

Wilson and Gill 139 41 Regent St (London) is probably just a private label dial for that jeweler/watchmakers shop.

·
Banned
615 Posts
I have t decide if I want to keep this watch (buy it or not)
It is a 15 J Swiss movement trench style watch with a black dial in all sterling silver (unpolished with nice aged patina) Radium has been removed, crystal is in nice condition-nice hands and black dial
On the dial is Wilson and Gill 139 41 Regent St (London)
The watch is nice looking visually and is running and keeping good time over the last 24 hours
I have been looking for a trench watch and this looks like one to me-is it a trench watch?
Opinions? Thoughts? Information? Buy or not?
Any ideas on the value of this watch or a fair price I should pay will be greatly appreciated
Also where can I find long straps for these 6mm wide lugs on trench watches. I need a long strap to fit me wrist
View attachment 35128
Thanks
Looks good to me
Pictures of assay import marks to date it?

worth between $250 and $500

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured the case as about 38mm including the crown and about 35mm from 6:00-12:00
It is a heavy case
I have tried to open the case, but I'm afraid to scratch it. The case is in nice condition
Let's assume it is a Dennison case. I know it is sterling. It has hallmarks on the case back
Under those assumptions any idea of value-ballpark.
I have to decide by Sunday if I want to buy it
Thanks again

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a screw case
I opened it
Dennison Watch Case exactly like the case back above with a 304702 number
Movement has Swiss Made and US Pat 24 May 1904
Movement is clean
has this number on the inside under screw back 4792

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome information thanks guys! 1916 would put this watch right into the middle of WWI so that is great news
Sounds like I should go ahead and add this watch to my military collection. I think I'll leave it as is-I like the patina
How about some advice on where to find nice straps for this and other 12mm lug opening watches

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Either one
I have Bund straps on my WWII military watches and I have some NATO canvas type straps
What do you think looks and works best?
Any advice would be appreciated-this will be my first trench watch

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
On this particular watch I would go with the one piece leather strap as pictured below.

100% correct for this type of watch and time period correct.

I get them from a guy in the UK, sells them on "the bay" but he currently does not have any listed.

I'm sure that he'll re-list them in a couple of days, as usual.

A black Kitchener Strap would look good as well.

WW1 Trench Watch Band Watch Strap | eBay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the one piece
The watch I have is very similar to yours and yours looks awesome
Who is the Ebay seller you bought the one piece from?
Have you ever dealt with trench watch restorations in MA?
He seems knowledgeable and he makes his own straps-not sure if he sells them though.
I know he puts them on watches he sells on Ebay
Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.