WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I would like to get your opinion on Dreyfuss Co DGS00033/16
Now it's only 225 pounds (55% save). Sounds like a very good offer. Have you tried any of Dreifuss? Can I trust it? Is it worth such money?

I also interested in Calvin Klein K0K27161
what about this one?

my third option is Zeppelin LZ 127 Transatlantic 76964
But I read some bad feedback about it breaking down after 5-6 months

Cheers
Mantas from Lithuania :)

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The Dreyfuss is a very good watch The family name for the owners of Rotary Paticularly if its one of the Swiss made one For that price can't go wrong Don't know about the other 2 Good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Assuming I'm converting pounds into dollars correctly, that is around $340.

For that, if you look hard enough, you can get a nice automatic watch from Hamilton or Victorinox. Skip the quartz phase and jump into the fun. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
For that kind of money, why not go with something from a "real" brand like Citizen, Seiko, Bulova Precisionist, or Hamilton?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Assuming I'm converting pounds into dollars correctly, that is around $340.

For that, if you look hard enough, you can get a nice automatic watch from Hamilton or Victorinox. Skip the quartz phase and jump into the fun. Just my opinion though.
Agree a nice Swiss Army would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
15,482 Posts
I have to agree with the others as well. IMO I would not spend more than 170 pounds on a quartz chronograph. Quartz modules are just too inexpensive to make to justify such high prices.
As to the bad review of Zeppilin you mentioned: It is powered by the Swiss ETA quartz movement, and are rather sturdy. There is no reason for it to "break down" in such a short period of time unless it was treated too roughly by the owner.

Reactions: Greenred

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
You can't use one sample to judge a whole line of product. The one watch might have been a dud right out of the factory. It happens, although you'd think QC would catch it.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Well i found quite cheap automatic Rotary watch:Men's Rotary Vintage Skeleton Automatic Watch (GS02519/09) - WATCH SHOP.com™[/url] What you think about this one? Is it worth money?
Technically, the posts with your links are against the forum rules but since two moderators have already replied, I will leave it to their discretion.:biggrin:

The relevant section of the forum's Rules of Conduct is as follows: "Clickable links to sales sites of non-sponsors are strictly and completely prohibited."

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
What he said! You should post photos of the watches instead of links to the place they are being sold. Right click on the photo and select View Image Info. Copy that and past it in the Insert Image. The icon for that is along the top of the Quick Reply window.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Dreyfuss was great in "Moon Over Parador" and "Jaws". Didn't know he was making watches now. :laugh:
You're sooo bad!

Now a reply to the post. Quartz chronos have a place. I have Seiko that I use for bicycling so if I spill I won't smear a $4000 real watch all over the pavement. It cost $150 or 75BP and I regreted spending that much. Money squandered on quartz is not available for a real purchase. Save and be patient, grasshopper.

·
Super Moderator
15,482 Posts
Greenred: If you'd like to post regular photos instead of direct links you're more than welcome to!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Of those three I would go for the Dreyfuss, but I would say a mid-range Swatch Group (e.g. Tissot or Certina), Seiko or possibly VSA is better. I don't really like the name Dreyfuss and the designs look a bit stale to me. Very similar to Rotary (same firm) but prettied up somewhat. CK does nothing for me and I have never seen Zeppelin on sale here. As far as quartz v mechanical is concerned there is a place for both. I enjoy my quartz watches just as much as the mechanicals and appreciate the convenience they offer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well i found quite cheap automatic Rotary watch: Men's Rotary Vintage Skeleton Automatic Watch (GS02519/09) - WATCH SHOP.com. What you think about this one? Is it worth money?
Unfortunately, I think with that one, you've slid over to a Chinese movement. I don't know that it's a "bad watch", but there's little love for low end Chinese movements in most "watch circles". Just as a heads up, keep an eye out for phrasing other than "Swiss Made", or "Swiss", on the dial. If it says something like "Established Swiss 18XX", or "Swiss 18XX" etc., it generally means the brand was/is Swiss, but the watch wasn't made there. If it says "Swiss Movement", than it has just that (or SHOULD), but the case and assembly are from somewhere else... assume China.

I agree with the general consensus here, that you can do better with a "Real" brand, like those suggested, but I don't think you need to "skip quartz" to get a good watch. In your price range, I think quartz are the better value, unless you're considering used. I'd recommend looking at the Bulova Precisionist line... they are very well built (Citizen is their new parent company), and use a particularly unique & accurate quartz movement that features a smooth sweeping second hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts