WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a Tissot watch, this watch in particular.
Oops. I'm dumb, it's a Tissot PRC 200. How did I not put the link down lol

The battery died, and taking it to the store costs 50$ just to replace the battery. (It was Macy's, San Francisco)

I chose to replace it on my own. I bought a renata 394 a few weeks ago, the friction ball finally arrived. I unscrewed the back plate, opened the cover. Getting the battery out was finnicky, didn't expect it, but I got it out. I put in the new one.

No movement.

Any idea what went wrong? Is the battery dead or did I kill the watch? I think it's incredibly unlikely I killed the watch, I was fairly careful.

·
Super Moderator
4,438 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You say, "this watch in particular," but there is no model number or picture. What movement is inside? Are you sure you purchased the correct battery?

·
Super Moderator
15,320 Posts
I don't see anything either;
and my doctor is on vacation, so I can't renew my subscription for mind-reading pills.
You say "the store". Who? Hershberg Jewelers? Sears or JC Penney's? the 7-11? Where you go matters. For example, own watch guy at Nap Premier Jewelry and Watch Repair offers free installation of batteries when I buy them from him.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Some quartz movements need to be 're-started' after a battery change which usually involves 'shorting' the movement between two points. Some quartz (yes even Tissot) Chrono movements have a restart procedure that must be followed. We'll need to know what quartz movement you have inside that watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoops!
Somehow, I forgot to put the link down. updated my OP, it's a tissot prc 200. Is that enough information?
I have seen people push a pin into some holes on videos but obviously I'm not going to try puncturing random holes on the first time I've ever opened up a watch.

·
Super Moderator
4,438 Posts
Interesting. Should be an ETA G10 movement. I've changed batteries in several with no issues. There are no special tricks other than resetting the hands if required...which should be in your instruction manual. I am sorry but I do not have any words of wisdom to share.

·
Super Moderator
5,698 Posts
Tissot provides manuals for this watch here: https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-ca/usermanual-search

Just curious.. you knew enough to use insulated tweezers when removing & installing the new battery right? Touching both the positive & negative sides of the battery is a quick way to short out those little batteries. I've also seen both 344 and 394 batteries used in those watches depending on the movement inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, unfortunately I didn't know that and did not use tweezers at all. I don't understand short out though. You mean it's actually just entirely dead? I didn't hold on to it for a long time

·
Super Moderator
4,438 Posts
Not very likely you would damage the battery if you used only your fingers. Any chance the battery is upside down?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I thought that might be the issue and made sure that I wasn't stupid enough to put it upside-down.

Perhaps.. I was shipped a new and dead battery?
No need to short out any contacts? I do not see any instructions as such from someone's link to the manual from earlier.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Get yourself some plastic tweezers for installing batteries, touching the top and bottom at the same time can kill a watch battery, the oils on your hands act as a conductor or pick the battery up by the sides only. Get a second battery and try again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts