WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does an open or closed loop 6 and 9 in the date window give any indication of age or is it random? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,984 Posts
Does an open or closed loop 6 and 9 in the date window give any indication of age or is it random? Thanks.
Generally this applies to vintage models - I'm not aware of any modern Rolex models which use open loop sixes or nines. It's Rolex though, so there may be a few out there. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought my first Rolex (first and subsequent Rolexes from the same AD) in early 1993 and got so hooked that I visited the shop about once a week just to look over the stock, plan future purchases, and learn about the brand. I bought a new datejust from the AD around late 1993 (he had to order it because he didn't have one in stock with the dial I wanted) and I seem to remember that it had open 6's and 9's. But that struck me as rare for that time period. As I recall, virtually all the watches he showed me in his stock in 1993 had closed 6's and 9's. After that datejust, I never received a new Rolex with the open 6's and 9's.

Based on that experience, I'll estimate that the open 6's and 9's were phased out in the 1990 through 1993 time period.

I like those older date wheels that have single digit dates that are so wide they fill the window from left edge to right, like in the attached photo.

Not my watch or photo - found on the net.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts