WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm considering purchasing my next watch online but given the number of scam websites out there and how difficult it can be to sometimes differentiate the legit ones from the scams or those selling fake watches, I was wondering; which sites have you purchased genuine watches from and would be happy to shop there again?

I've heard of Jomashop.com and authenticwatches.com, have you dealt with these sites are how would you rate them? Any others? Thanks.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
All of our sponsors (click HERE for the list) have been vetted by Watch Talk Forum's owner. As a matter of fact, most are contributing members too.

If in doubt, simply as The Google what he thinks of a particular site. They'll probably be pages of info to sort through.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just to add to the reply from ulackfocus, most of our forum sponsors offer extra discounts for members with discounts of 10-15% on top of the already excellent prices.

Best of luck in the hunt for your next purchase :thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I checked out most of the sponsors websites, and there are some good offers, though most of the watches are of a different style to what I'm looking for. I'm after something that's a classic design and a little understated. I have my eye on the Oris 'Classic Date' (white/silver face with rose-gold numbers). That seems like quite a versatile watch which I can wear to uni and also to work. I also have small wrists (6.5 inches), so that watch size would suite me well. The Hamilton Khaki field is another one I was considering. There is a bit of a price difference, and I've never owned a Hamilton before. I have an Oris (original BC pointer date), and I love everything about it, but its a little flashy (its the SS+rose gold version) for uni. The Longines Silver Arrow is another watch I'm considering, but I can't find it anywhere online. I'm still looking around as I'm in no rush to purchase the watch (may buy closer to Christmas/NY).

Of the above mentioned 3 watches (Oris CD; Hamilton Khaki Field; Longines SA), which would be a good purchase, in terms of looks (haven't seen any in real life yet) and quality/durability. Also, are there any others you suggest I look at? Also, I'm only interested in automatic movements, and my max price would be ~$1500.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just tell yourself - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

If there's a specific site you're looking at, just ask the members here - they'll share an honest opinion.

Also, don't be afraid to call the people that run the website - make sure that you feel comfortable dealing with them.

And feel free to call us ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sweet!!!

But part of me still thinks amazon is the way to go for some watches.....bought both my Seiko's there. Warranty info for Seiko's on Amazon says "All Seiko watches purchased Direct from Amazon.com are covered by a three-year manufacturer's limited warranty. Please see the full Seiko warranty for more details."

Just to add to the reply from ulackfocus, most of our forum sponsors offer extra discounts for members with discounts of 10-15% on top of the already excellent prices.

Best of luck in the hunt for your next purchase :thumbup:

·
Registered
805 Posts
ozdude--amazon (not the river but the store) is the way to go as you are almost 100% safe and the selection can be very good. the hamilton khaki (especially the field watches) are great watches, are part of the ETA group so you will get an ETA movement (for automatics) which are tough and durable (and good). the field watches are very pilot/military looking at a good size. hamilton makes other, more urban looking, watches which are also good. if you are looking for a dive watch look then debaufre is the way to go--you can buy from their website and they are 100% legit and not grey market (meaning you will get the full warranty). i know amazon has hamiltons and they also have oris watches--and, as i recall, the watches there are under full warranty.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Not all Amazon purchases have factory warranties. Many times the sale is farmed out to another retailer / grey market dealer. Do your homework and read the fine print before committing. Is it a reconditioned watch that was returned? Does it come with the dealer's warranty instead of the factory warranty? These are important points and not guaranteed to be the same across the board from Amazon and it's dozen or so agents who sell watches.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Guys, I'm considering purchasing my next watch online but given the number of scam websites out there and how difficult it can be to sometimes differentiate the legit ones from the scams or those selling fake watches, I was wondering; which sites have you purchased genuine watches from and would be happy to shop there again?

I've heard of Jomashop.com and authenticwatches.com, have you dealt with these sites are how would you rate them? Any others? Thanks.
I have purchased from Jomashop without issue. My wife bought me an Omega PO from Authentic Watches and was utterly delighted with their service and price. It is true that the warranties from these companies are through third parties and not the actual producer of the timepieces, but as others have indicated, that can also be the case with Amazon. I have also found the prices of the first two mentioned companies to be slightly better than that of Amazon with the watches I've bought.

Having said all of that, I would also see if there is a forum sponsor that can help you out. That would be my first choice if it were an option. If not - hey - you tried.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seiko's and Amazon

Not all Amazon purchases have factory warranties. Many times the sale is farmed out to another retailer / grey market dealer. Do your homework and read the fine print before committing. Is it a reconditioned watch that was returned? Does it come with the dealer's warranty instead of the factory warranty? These are important points and not guaranteed to be the same across the board from Amazon and it's dozen or so agents who sell watches.
That's right.....however I bought both my Seiko's from Amazon. Seiko's bought DIRECTLY FROM amazon (not from a 3rd party THROUGH amazon) have Seiko's full 3 year warranty. I'm not sure if any other manufacturers are like that with amazon. If you decide to go through them make sure you read the warranty information before you buy it to make sure you can live with it.

Pennapolis!

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Ozdude - are you in Australia? The sponsor Friends Of Oris (The have a banner on the Oris Forum page) deals with the Australasia area exclusively and offer a good online experience. And if you're in Aust, shipping will be cheaper, and no customs duties (not too sure about GST, though....)
Worth checking out for the Oris range if that's what you're hunting for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I have looked at Amazon, and some watches do come with manufacturer warranties, and some come with one provided by Amazon. Some of the prices are quite good, and comparable to Jomashop etc.

However, recently I stumbled across Christopher Ward watches on this forum, checked out their website and I think I may have found the sort of watch I'm looking for; the C5 auto :001_tt1: (C5 Malvern Automatic - Tan Leather - C5SWT - Automatic - Incabloc Anti-shock; Exhibition back - Swiss Made). Haven't committed to it yet, but it is a gorgeous watch, especially with the tan strap. If I decide to go with this one, then I can only purchase it online from CW. In a way, that solves my original issue regarding trust when buying online lol! I've heard some very good things about CW watches and customer service.

Finally, yes I live in Australia. I do know of Friends of Oris and have visited their site quite often, but recently they appear to have slowed done in terms of new models, and they don't have the Oris I was thinking about (Classic date, silver face). But after seeing the CW, I think I like that one more...

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Fair enough - good luck with the CW, and don't forget to post lots of pics when you get it :thumbup1::001_tt1:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
updated info re online purchase

Hi Everyone ,

anybody had any experience purchasing on-line from AuthenticWatches.com ? i thought i remember last time it was listed in our sponsor ( but I'm not too sure though…) i have seen some of their collections and found them very interesting.

Appreciate your opinion too…

Thanking you in advance

Cheers
Pete J

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
No, they've never been a sponsor here Pete. but they're good to go. I haven't bought from them in a few years, but they are legit and do sell authentic watches. If I found the right watch for the right price I'd buy from them again.

One note, they will (or at least used to) give a discount if you pay via wire or other 'cash' method to offset the saving in credit card fees. Just FYI if you're looking to save a few extra bucks and can pay in cash / wire.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
No, they've never been a sponsor here Pete. but they're good to go. I haven't bought from them in a few years, but they are legit and do sell authentic watches. If I found the right watch for the right price I'd buy from them again.

One note, they will (or at least used to) give a discount if you pay via wire or other 'cash' method to offset the saving in credit card fees. Just FYI if you're looking to save a few extra bucks and can pay in cash / wire.
thanks Scott, some bad experiences in the past of on line purchasing makes me do some background check here n there .. once again thanks :thumbup1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts