WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This gets brought up in one form or another time and time again.
I'd like to ask a simple question or two. I DO NOT want this to degenerate into an argument about whether the best deals, or best prices, or best service exist online or in a 'bricks and mortar' store.

I want to know if there are any AUTHORISED Swiss Watch dealers online. Key word - authorised (or authorized if you prefer). Not a store online that sells brand name Swiss watches and offers their own in-house warranty and service.
I only know of one: Oris. Oris online sales are divided into regions, so for example you can't buy an Oris from the Asia/Pacific dealer if you live in the States. These online ADs are backed by an Oris warranty (up to 3 years).

So, are there any others out there? Online sales seem to be anathema to virtually all Swiss brands, but are there any (other than Oris) out there?

Thanks.

Edit: let me clarify - I am not asking for an AD that sells exclusively online (I mentioned Oris, and they sell both online and in stores), but any SWISS brand that sells online with the backing of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm with Muttley on this. I do alot of my shopping online because it's so much cheaper than buying from a retail store. In the past 9 years shopping online, I've not come across an item I bought online and later find or saw the same product in store for cheaper. only thing I don't buy online is grocery. Back to watches online, the brands I know that sells online and backed by manufacture is Invicta, Kadloo, Steinhart, Sturling, Sea gull, Doxa,MKII, C.Ward.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want to talk about prices, that's not the thread topic. I don't know how many of those brands are Swiss but I'm fairly sure Seagull isn't.
So Doxa has online AD's? Didn't know that.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
If you look at the true "legacy" Swiss brands, then it's very few. Oris, Ball & Tag Heuer are the only 3 I know of that have brand-blessed online AD's. And Tag only allows a few hand-selected AD's to sell online, not any AD. There may be one or two more, but I can't recall any others.

Doxa DOES NOT have an AD network. Doxa now sells exclusively online only via their website, but that's the manufacture, not an AD. Anyone else selling Doxa is a gray dealer.

9pm, the brands you listed, except Doxa, are non-Swiss brands. Don't confuse the brand with the part components. Some of those brands may use a Swiss movement or other Swis parts in some of their models, but I don't think any of those are true Swiss brands. Steinhart is a German brand using Swiss components, Stuhrling is mostly Asian, Sea-Gull is an Asian manufacture, C.Ward is a UK company using Swiss parts and Invicta is a US company using parts from everywhere. Don't know much about Kadloo, but they look to be another German company using parts from Germany, Asia and Switzerland. What Muttley is asking is which Swiss brands allow their AD's to sell online, not which Swiss made watches are available online.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Scott, I should probably include Swiss brands that sell online themselves (such as Doxa). Would I be correct in thinking Doxa also have an AD network in the 'real' world? I can't say I've looked too closely at them yet so not familiar with their sales model.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Would I be correct in thinking Doxa also have an AD network in the 'real' world?
Nope, they do NOT have an AD network. They went to a strictly online sales model via their website awhile back and cut out dealers. They claim this allows them to sell at ~35% discounts over the previous model, benefiting the customer. Whether that's true or not, who knows, I've not bought anything from them pre or post change, so I can't draw a comparison.....

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Yea, you can buy Movado directly from them as well.

Here's the big problem with Online AD's, they have to sell at MSRP prices. You may be able to call the AD and work out a better price, but at that point it's technically no longer an internet sale. And I've not paid MSRP on a watch in a loooooong time. And I don't see that changing. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
16,551 Posts
They do. Click on the "Shopping Bag" tab on top- that will take you to the e-store. (I just tried it and no, I didn't buy anything!)

·
Super Moderator
16,551 Posts
Well first of all, you're not looking for a banner that says "HEY-I'M RIGHT OVER HERE - CLICK MEEEE!!!!!" :001_rolleyes:

ok...let's try it this way:
1) Click on Browse our Mens Watches and find what you're lookin' for
2) Rest your cursor on the watch you've selected
3) Click on ADD TO BAG
4) Click on VIEW BAG (to make sure you selected the right one)
5) You will then either select UPDATE BAG to select lots more goodies or click CHECK-OUT to go to the cashier's window and take out another mortgage on your house to pay for all the stuff you just selected.

And if you still need help after all that I'm going to have to start charging you for my time.

Reactions: Parshooter

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Curious if a brick and mortar store has a website and many do nowadays, are they allowed to sell on the net. I was interested in an Omega a while back and saw an ad for a store, I negotiated with them, they were more then willing to send the watch by mail and I am positive they were authorized.

·
Super Moderator
16,551 Posts
I'd imagine they could if they wanted to (not that I know anything about corporate law or e-trade).
That would be a good question to ask the next time I go windowshopping.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Curious if a brick and mortar store has a website and many do nowadays, are they allowed to sell on the net. I was interested in an Omega a while back and saw an ad for a store, I negotiated with them, they were more then willing to send the watch by mail and I am positive they were authorized.
It depends on the brands, but most Swiss brands may allow the AD to advertise they sell them, but not list any pricing or have a way to order online so you have to go to the store or call. Others may allow advertising they sell them and listing of price, but it has to be MSRP. Again, to buy you need to call or go into the store.

If the brand allows for actually seling online, it's always (that I've seen) MSRP pricing and it's only the few brands I mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.