WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1962 Lord Elgin 30 Jewel Sel-Wind just back from service. If my info is correct, it was only worn until1968, then stashed away. This was part of a junk drawer purchase of four watches I bought a few years ago while "on the wagon" (not collecting) The others were pocket watches including a 18 Size Elgin Veritis from 1903 and a BWR from 1909.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Oooooo!!!!! :001_tt1:

That there is just about my favorite version of the 760. And yours looks spectacular!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Did you have the dial redone? Mine has radium burn on the dial from the hands sitting at (apparently) 12:20 for a long time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have the dial redone? Mine has radium burn on the dial from the hands sitting at (apparently) 12:20 for a long time.
Everything is 100% original. I've seen burns on other such watches, but it didn't happen here. I'm fairly sure the watch had never been opened until last week.

Attachments

Reactions: RJ007

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm wondering if Elgin switched to lum around this period. My 760 has no burns and I noticed the dots will glow for a while when hit with a bright light. Not the hands though.

Joel

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
1962 Lord Elgin 30 Jewel Sel-Wind just back from service. If my info is correct, it was only worn until1968, then stashed away. This was part of a junk drawer purchase of four watches I bought a few years ago while "on the wagon" (not collecting) The others were pocket watches including a 18 Size Elgin Veritis from 1903 and a BWR from 1909.
Fantastic vtec!
What a beautiful LE!:001_tt1:

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
I'm wondering if Elgin switched to lum around this period.
It's likely. America started phasing-out the use of radium around 1959 or so. Also, I don't see an 'R' or an 'Ra' on the dial, which the watch companies just started doing in the 50s

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I am having another case of watch envy! Nice one! Love the Made in America!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Mine has no glow left, plus the lume is that funky gray/brown color of spent Zinc Sulfide, so I think we can conclude that Elgin did indeed switch.

Yours looks so good, I think I'm going to have to invest in a new crystal and give the case a good polishing for mine. It's amazing how much difference the little scratches make in how good a watch looks.

Plus I have Dial Envy! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts