WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm spoiling anyone's efforts to get this quietly - but us non-USns are locked out from bidding so it's a bit of a harumph for me...

Auction 280772412157; c1953 diamond faced 14K solid white gold Carl.

Yep, got me intrigued too, seeing as the 1953, 54 and 55 cattle dogs show the Gary in natural gold fill only - and without diamonds.

What are the thoughts?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You sure that's not a ladies watch?

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
It looks like a ladies model to me, also. I get a kick out of the sellers with a solid gold model showing the weight with the works inside. I don't know of any movements made from solid gold. :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like a men's model to me. Hamilton had endless diamond watches for ladies, but with diamonds on the case rather than on the dial. They also tended to be something dainty on a silk cord strap. The seller reports that this watch is 26mm wide and 38mm lug to lug. That would be outlandishly huge compared to the rest of the solid gold line!

Sorry guys, it's one of yours, not one of mine. :001_tt2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know of any movements made from solid gold. :001_rolleyes:
Tom, well, Gruen did make a pocket watch movement with the plates made of 10K solid gold. And Ollendorf made mens and ladies WW movement with 14k solid gold plates. But they all have steel screws and other parts not made of gold.

My impression of the Ebay watch is it is not a Hamilton case. The case mark does not seem one that is seen on Hamilton cases. But I did not do any reseach so maybe it is a Hamilton case.
Scrambler

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd wager the case isn't authentic Hamilton. The back isn't stamped, most likely the inside back isn't either. And Hamilton did not sell white gold watches with yellow dot markers and yellow hands,

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was going to get it just for the 16mm bracelt that would fit my WG Keith..........but the seller said it an ultra short bracelet 179mm end to end including the watch........Too short for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts