WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone =)
This is my first post on this forum and I’d just like to give you a bit of a background about my watch history.
I haven’t really been interested in time pieces but found myself stumbling into jewellers and was surprisingly taken back about the quality of some of the watches out there. Due to this and reading up on watches in forums such as this one, I have decided to take the plunge! =O

My initial thoughts were between the blue Omega Seamaster 300m 41mm and the Tag Heuer Carrera chronograph but after going back and forth I’ve finally decided that the Omega is the one for me! I was originally going to get the quartz version but after seeing the auto, the quartz detracts a bit of quality in my eyes as I see it, I see it as a piece of electrics inside which can be found in any watch(although rookie eyes but on personal preference). Just the thought of spending that much and not going for an auto would be rude =p
My decision to choose omega is due to the dealer clearly preferring it on all fronts including reliability and it’s a departure on looks on my current watch (a designer branded auto). I like how it’s so subtle and elegant yet powerful. I also see the brand as on a different level to TAG (no offence). Hopefully I will have my first Omega very soon!

I do have a dilemma though which I’m hoping you guys can help me out with. After seeing the wave version first and being oblivious to the new ceramic one until recently, I’m not sure which to choose! I liked the wave version a lot and went in to buy it but once seeing the new one there, I left empty handed not knowing what to do. It reminded me a lot of the titanium planet ocean which I originally like but was too pricey.
To add to the dilemma, the dealer which I went to with the ceramic version has agreed to give me 10% off on the rrp which would make it £2430. They however don’t stock the older 41mm Wave version anymore so else where that would cost me £2400. Both offer 0% finance but with the discounted price on the ceramic, I would have to pay the £2430 in full or finance it on the whole £2700. I do have the money but would take a big hit at one time. If I chose the £2400 wave version I would finance that 0% too. So to part with all my hard earned cash at once and have no savings, or to slowly pay for one over the years (potentially more for ceramic that I would if I paid in full). Also for that price I can get a PO for similar discounted albeit in black which I wasn’t too fond of over the blue. CONFUSED!

Not a lot in it. I can’t decide which to choose! Financially and design wise. Not too sure about the inner workings so that might persuade me if one is better than the other?
Thanks for the help in advanced guys! Appreciate it.

p.s. I’m from the UK as you probably figured with the use of £.Can’t wait to finally decide!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
Nice dilema ay:001_smile: really down to personal choice, i know that probably don't help much...personally for the extra £300 to put it on finance and get the watch you REALLY want is the way i'd go as i would always be wishing i'd got the one i wanted.I bought a Seamaster PO on a rubber deployment strap ...albeit at a very good price, i really wanted one on a steel bracelet.Eventually had to get the steel bracelet :001_tt1:but the RRP was madness £545 !! .Has taken me 6 months to find a minty 2nd hand one but i now have the watch i wanted :biggrin:
Enjoy whatever you buy there cool watches :thumbup1:

P.S Go for the D movement or newer as from what i've read that is the way to go, although i'm no expert just read alot :001_smile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The blue wave dial is a classic and now discontinued, so you might want to think about picking one up - or a good used one a few years old at a bargain price, as you'll probably be able to get the ceramic bezels for years to come.

I agree with you that quartz watches are like mechanical dogs - no soul, but having said that, I do have a 2342.80 quartz with gold bezel that is a go-to watch for casual wear - just pull it out of the drawer and even if you haven't looked at it for a month it is faithfully keeping perfect time. Something to be said for that too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.