WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm a new member to the forum and also new to vintage watches. I have spent some time reading through the various posts and gained some very useful knowledge (thank you everyone) but would really appreciate some help in deciding whether the watch listed below is worth going for. Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Best Wishes

Simon

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Welcome. The only thing that bothers me about that watch is the case reference. I can't confirm that the 14770 ever came with a 552. Examples with the 562 and 563 (both with dates) are the usual calibers found inside that case number. Otherwise it seems like a nice example. In this condition, we've seen Seamaster De Villes sell for $500 - $600. Wait for somebody else to come along with more info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for the information.

Can I ask what is the significance of the case number 14770 and could this potentially mean that this was originally from another watch?

Any other comments very much welcomed.

Thanks

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I've never heard of a 14770 being rare, but then again every other seller lists any old watch using that word despite it being as common as dirt. Maybe somebody else can chime in and shed some light on what's so special because it's beyond me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. Yes, after a bit of research I've been unable to find another example that wasn't date version. I came across several crystal suppliers that connected the 14770 with having a date window so I have to presume this isn't the original.

If anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts