WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first time here and I just have a quick question. I've got about $2000 to spend on a good watch. I've gone back and forth and I keep coming back to Omega. I absolutely love the Omega Seamaster 300M in the Black wave dial (212.30.41.20.01.002). I like the blue as well, but I think black is more versatile. I've read a few articles about Omega's 2500 co-axial movement not being as good as the 1200. I can save some money going with the older 1200 movement, but I really want something close to new condition. Now, I know this watch is closer to $3000 new, but I've found a few pre-owned ones in very very good condition closer to $2k.

I guess here's my question:
First, is the Omega a good choice for the price range? There are other watches I like more, but my budget is what it is. Am I missing something else that's out there that may be a better value? I like one of the Tag Aquaracers, but not nearly as much as the Omega.
Second, what is your honest opinion of the Omega? I've read many positive reviews, but then there's a few bad ones that make me wonder.

I come to you because after reading several hundred posts here, i know you guys are the experts and wont steer me wrong. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Welcome!

I'm an Omega collector, and the sole caliber I wouldn't own (again) is the 2500. I've heard nothing but praise for the 1120 (the previous version without the coaxial escapement) and would own an SMP powered by that caliber in a heartbeat if it were my style. Don't worry about buying one that's a few years old because there are plenty of watchmakers that can restore it to practically new. As a matter of fact, we have one or two here as sponsors. The 2254.50 (black dial) and 2255.80 (electric blue dial) are very popular, the "non-AC" 2230.50 (black dial / white gold bezel) is really sharp, and you should check out the GMT versions 2234.50 (black dial) and "Great White" 2538.20 (white dial).

You should also look at Breitling in your price range. A pre-owned model from the Colt or Heritage series can usually be found in that ballpark or less depending on which version it is. I've owned a Chrono Cockpit for 3.5 years now and it's a fantastic watch - click HERE for my review.

If you want a dive-style watch, you owe it to yourself to check out Doxa. The SUB series, which includes the Sharkhunter and Professional, have a very loyal hardcore following.

Also, Lüm-Tec has some great options for much less than your set limit with plenty of case shapes and dial colors to choose from. They have a forum here near the bottom of the main page. Worth a look for sure.

Lastly, the only watch I take into salt water is a Seiko diver. I know, I know.... you want to spend more on a 'better' watch. Don't kid yourself - these things are built like tanks and are always rated as a best bang for the buck watch. Then you can spend the balance on a more versatile casual/everyday watch. Two is better than one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a thorough and insightful response. Your opinion about the Omega 2500 movement seems to be shared among a lot of people. I think you've convinced me. I haven't heard about Lum Tec before, so I'll definitely take a look.
As far as Breitling, I am actually a Navy pilot and everyone I know owns a Breitling. I actually don't like the looks of most of them and feel like if I bought one, I'd just be joining the crowd. I'm not completely adverse to them, but I try to steer clear of them.
Thanks again for your response. It's definitely helped me in the hunt!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tag Aquaracer Calibre 5 (WAJ2110.BA0870)

Any opinions on the Tag Aquaracer Calibre 5 (WAJ2110.BA0870)? Looks a lot like the Omega 300M for around the same price. I like the exhibition back and the looks of the bezel. Just like to know what the quality is like on this one.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I know you said no to Breitling, but there is a reason why they're so popular. THE MOST comfortable bracelet in the world (the only one I've kept on) and they're heavy with solid build quality.

Dennis mentioned the COLT, it is far different from the majority of their models with the chronograph indicators on them. I like it and wear it more frequently than any other.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
If you like the Seamaster Pro, take a look at Boschett's Ocean Mariner. :thumbup1: You don't even have to leave WTF...just go up top and use the sponsor box to see Boschett.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the feedback!
Yea, I took a good look at the Breitling Colt again and I don't know what it is, but they just don't do it for me. I don't doubt their quality, I just don't like the look.
I'm guessing that no one really like the Tag Aquaracer since no one commented on it. I'll take a better look at Ball and Boschett as I didn't give them as good a look as I should have because I don't hear much about them.
I appreciate you guys taking the time to give me your input!

·
Registered
73 Posts
No one comented on the Tag because its frequently more expensive or in the same range as the omega and breitling, yet at the big C you can find them relatively cheap, just like pretty much anything (except they know Omega as a firm brand so they price it accordingly) There is only 1 Tag Heuer that took my interest and I'll post it for your viewing pleasure (or horror :O) Its the aquaracer with the aluminum bezel. Its tucked away in the confines of the Tag Heuer site, like some child no one wanted to advertise or something :D I literally had to do some digging to find info. on it :(

The pic doesn't do it justice, the main reason I got it was its blue color and the price, Omega has that kind of darker blue that doesn't fit right, not when you compare it to this watch. The blue in real life is more vibrant. Just to note I'm not a Tag fan, at least not as big a fan as I love Omega, but the price I got this watch at made it worth while :D

As for the Omega, I was about to put in a new 300m bazel style Seamaster order into my AD but when I found this watch it just paned out.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Sorry about that, vandal. Sometimes questions fall through the cracks as threads get going in a different direction.
I admire TAGHeuer and have great respect for it. My personal heatrthrob is the Caliber 1887 line.
As for the Aquaracer, it's a great watch...nothing wrong with it at all. There's just not anything IMO that makes it "special". It is either great or just another Swiss diver's watch, depending on how you feel about the brand.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

As for shopping at "The Big C" I highly recommend you check out the Wikipedia article on the Gray Market. I know the prices are greatly reduced, but bear in mind you have next to no service after the sale. If anything happens to your watch, like that Aquaracer as an example, TAG is under no obligation to do any of the warranty repairs on it because you are not the primary purchaser..."C" was. All you can do is take it back and hope you can exchange it or pay a private repairman to fix the damage. I ALWAYS buy new watches from an Authorized Dealer (known throughout this site as an AD).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just an addition, anything happens in the Big C they let you return it, I've returned a expensive Breitling this last summer after 6 months of wearing it cause I didn't like the look of it and I never used it much on my wrist. Big C came through on warrenty (again it might depend on the salesperson thats returning etc but there leniant) its a life time warrenty as long as you still have a membership with them :D Other than that, I'm sure whatever watch you decide to purchase will turn out fine.

If you want to pay over 30-40% more at an AD sometimes it pays off for piece of mind, I'm more a savings monkey anyway :D I don't mind buying grey market and then going to a local AD and paying them (although in my area they don't charge) to verify that the watch is legit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts