WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little over 20 years ago, my Grandfather died suddenly and his widow, his 2nd wife, simply packed up his belongings and locked them in his workshop with all his tools, and that we sadly thought was that. I was told it had all been given away. So it was quite a surprise to find it all sitting there undisturbed when she passed away earlier this year. I found amongst it all a very sorry looking Omega Seamaster Memomatic. It wasn't working and the movement was clanking around inside, but still I was excited at the thought of getting it working again and having a quality lasting memory of him to hand down to my son. I took the watch to 3 different watch makers; 2 of whom told me it was rusted through and not worth their time to restore, and the 3rd quoted me £1200+ to see it working again. Rather downheartedly I trudged home with it in my pocket. On my route I passed a jewellers I had walked past hundreds of times in my life and never really looked in. This time however I noticed a small display of vintage Omegas in the window. So I thought I might as well just see if they would take a look...
£800 lighter and 6 months older, I am the happiest new Omega owner on the planet!:biggrin:
Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
I could be a stinker and suggest you put it under the Christmas tree until the 25th :)lol:) but I won't. That's a beautiful restoration! Congratulations on a great heirloom watch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill,
I've never owned a quality watch before, and I am totally honoured to have inherited it. My Great Grandfather and Grandfather were both watchmakers with a workshop on Regents St. London up until the 1960s - I had to sell his numerous boxes of parts and a complete ladies gold Omega to fund this restoration but it was so worth it.
regards
Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents,
would you have any idea how accurate I could expect it to be? measured against DAB clock today it gained 30sec over 12 hours. Is that good or should I look to adjust the movement to improve it?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The Omega cal. 980 in your watch is a Lemania "based" movement. While I'm uncertain WHICH Lemania, in my experience their movements will be capable of better than 60 seconds in 24 hrs.
I have a couple of Tissot "Navigator" chronos with the Lemania 1341 caliber movement that run 10 to 15 seconds (fast) in 24 hrs.
I would suggest that you keep track of your watches progress, note which position it gains-or loses time (crown up/down, crystal up/down) when not worn at night and give it a bit to "settle in" from the recent service.
It will be simple enough to regulate when you determine PRECISELY what it is doing.
A lot of us would not actually care if it's a minute fast or slow in 24 hrs. (eh D?). I'm just not one of them:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. oddly when I pull out the crown to set the time the hands dont stop. the second hand still going round for certain. I didn't expect that. is that normal? it makes it tricky to sync with my atomic radio watch. I'm happy with a minute a day because right now I'm just happy it's running... but I know Mr. precise in me will get the better of Mr. chilled, and want to try to attain a +/- 15 sec accuracy if possible. I come from a lineage of German watch makers after all!

thanks
Tim

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
oddly when I pull out the crown to set the time the hands dont stop. the second hand still going round for certain. I didn't expect that. is that normal?
Yes, it's normal for older watches not to hack. A little back pressure on the crown will hold the second hand in place if you need to set it precisely.

I know Mr. precise in me will get the better of Mr. chilled, and want to try to attain a +/- 15 sec accuracy if possible.
There's medication for that. Or buy watches with no second hand. :wink::laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha! My wife would agree I need medicating. She say's I'm 'on the spectrum' .... thanks again for the advice, that's certainly good to hear. The watchmaker who restored it, is incommunicado. I dont even know who he is (or she). The Jeweller keeps their identity and location a secret and cant answer any questions I have had along the way with any knowledge or assurance.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly do you mean by 'back pressure' ?

br
Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly it's not over yet... My joy was short lived when it became apparent there was a problem with the autowind mechanism, it was making quite a noise. So the watch went back to jewellers... and then came back to me with an implausible tale that 'it's just one of Omega's more noisy movements sir" - and no better.
So not convinced and after taking it to another local watchmaker to have a listen, who confirmed it needed attention. I took it back again and insisted it was done properly. Off it went again to the Jewellers watchmaker and a week later I picked it up minus the rattling noise. Happiness.
2 days later I discovered the crown winding was very stiff and sounded and felt like there was grit in it. not happiness.
Fed up with being fobbed off by the jeweller with different lies (3 times at this point). The dial is another story!!! I took it to an independent watch maker to examine. which is where it is now. They know the jeweller and pass dial restorations on to them to go to Italy. So this could get interesting...
I'm awaiting the news. and of course a bill in addition to the Jeweller's restoration bill.

fingers crossed.

·
Banned
615 Posts
A little over 20 years ago, my Grandfather died suddenly and his widow, his 2nd wife, simply packed up his belongings and locked them in his workshop with all his tools, and that we sadly thought was that. I was told it had all been given away. So it was quite a surprise to find it all sitting there undisturbed when she passed away earlier this year. I found amongst it all a very sorry looking Omega Seamaster Memomatic. It wasn't working and the movement was clanking around inside, but still I was excited at the thought of getting it working again and having a quality lasting memory of him to hand down to my son. I took the watch to 3 different watch makers; 2 of whom told me it was rusted through and not worth their time to restore, and the 3rd quoted me £1200+ to see it working again. Rather downheartedly I trudged home with it in my pocket. On my route I passed a jewellers I had walked past hundreds of times in my life and never really looked in. This time however I noticed a small display of vintage Omegas in the window. So I thought I might as well just see if they would take a look...
£800 lighter and 6 months older, I am the happiest new Omega owner on the planet!:biggrin:
View attachment 34603
Based on the history of this timepiece and its provenance - $800 WELL spent
Great job and good for you.
I am IMpressed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.