WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some professional opinions here.

I dropped my Omega Planet Ocean off for “routine” maintenance.

It’s 5 years old and had started to run a little slow.

I ask for it to be oiled, and “tuned up”.

After 5 weeks, it came back. And they (Tourneau) had replaced the

sapphire crystal. With one that was missing the non-reflective coating.

Their was nothing wrong with the original, and I did not ask fro this to

be done. I was clearly upset, but they gave no reason as to why it was

done. Only offered to “fit it” by putting a OEM crystal back in.

My question is. Now that the original crystal has been removed. 2x.

Is my watch still fully water resistant?

Is it still considered factory original?

or has it been ruined?

I have about a “2 week wait”, I’d like to be in charge of the facts.

Before I walk back into the store.

Please.. I’m not a confrontational person. But this has me really upset.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
It's not ruined, crystals are regularly replaced on dive watches. It's really no different than replacing the crown & tube, or case back for that matter. And if they replace the non-OEM crystal they installed with an Omega-OEM it's still factory original in my mind.

What does matter is that it's done properly and then properly pressure tested to make sure the seals & gaskets are seated properly and working. This should be done whenever a dive-watch is opened or worked on as the seals have been broken. But it's not a big deal.

I'd require them to pressure test to the deepest depths their equipment will handle, but no less than 200m. If they don't have the equipment they can send it to Omega to have done. And of course this should be done at their expense, not yours. They replaced a part that 1) wasn't required and more importantly 2) wasn't approved. They should bear the cost of fixing & verifying it. Make sure they provide you with the results of the pressure test in writing in case water should leak later & you need to go back to them because it wasn't done right.

If they refuse to cover the cost of the pressure tests, I'd then start explaining to them it's their mistake to fix, and while you don't want to if required you'll seek legal remedies.

I'd also want to know why they replaced the crystal. If it didn't need it, why was it replaced? Did they try to charge you for it? If not I'm wondering if they damaged the original somehow and replaced it as a result. I can only see 3 reasons for it being replaced 1) they damaged it during service & had to replace it, 2) the tech didn't read the ticket & made a mistake (pretty serious one IMO) or 3) they just did un-needed service to fraudulently increase the repair cost. You didn't say if they charged you for the crystal or not so it's hard to tell. If they didn't, then I'd say it's pretty likely it's #1, they damaged it. But if they did try to charge you then given stories of them I wouldn't be surprised if it's #2 or #3 for that matter. But if they did damage it and didn't have an Omega OEM crystal they'd have used a non-OEM replacement, which would explain the non-AR crystal.

Lastly, if they indeed did this without consent, I'd ask for some compensation for loss of time. Ask them to give a good discount (like 20%) off the servicing costs. Their mistakes cost you time enjoying your watch, asking for reasonable compensation for this is perfectly reasonable to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott D.

And to answer your question. No, they did not charge me for the new crystal.
They were very nice in the store. They apologized and were in total agreement
that the work was done with out my consent.

I will request a pressure test as well as a discount for the inconvenience.
Thank you again for your detailed response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Scott D. They damaged the crystal and had to replace it. That's why you were not charged for it. Have them make it right!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts