WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested in picking up an Omega tuning fork watch. I’m familiar with Accutron, and the care and feeding, as well as some of the land mines along the way. But I’m totally unfamiliar with Omega and it’s Peccadillos. Any recommendations where to start, and how to avoid some pitfalls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Hello. Like you I am familiar with the Acctron. The only f300 Omegas I have are Speedsonics and I would never attempt to service one of them. Use the same criteria when searching for an Omega as you use for the Acctron they are essentially the same movement with plenty produced. Just have fun with it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They need servicing just like Accutrons, but I'm sure you know that already. Without service a common wear spot is the sweep wheel's top pivot. Those wheels are getting harder to find. One of these days I will have to start repivoting them. But with maintenance nothing in the watch wears. Battery leakage seems to be the thing that kills the coils, just like Accutrons. (I also rewind these, no problem.)

Their big weak spot is the date disc. If someone tries to use the quickset too near midnight the disc breaks and then it will get stuck on a certain date each month. I recently got one that had about half the teeth chewed off. It is a bad design.

I can get metal replacement date discs that are very good, and I always use those for replacements. This fixes the problem completely. However I can only get them for the models that have date and crown both at 3. Some Zeniths especially have the date at 4:30, and even a few Omegas have crown at 2. I would personally avoid the models that don't have date and crown both at 3 for this reason.

The Speedsonics are really cool if you want to splurge.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I’m awaiting my f300 Seamaster “cone” back from the “spa” after a complete redo. Along with it will be my Titus f300 following a normal service. The Seamaster will be in like-new condition now and the Titus was near mint to begin with.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Mine was an ex Omega. Rebranded Titus.
was working well until about 6 months ago.
Still humming along but hands keep stopping.
Next in my list for a service.
Bought mine as “serviced” but we all ‘now how that can go. Ran for a while them stopped. Let it sit for a couple years then put a new battery in it and it ran well again. Decided it needed to go for a service where I knew it would be serviced properly. Only needed a regular service. Mine doesn’t have the “ghosted” Omega crystal and the crown as well as the case back have the Titus logo on them. This is the case and band style but not my watch:

Watch Analog watch Azure Silver Rectangle

·
Registered
397 Posts
That date is even worse than usual! Unfortunately your bezel is missing too. That poor dial and movement spent some time outside its case that it shouldn't have. Hope you have your case clamps and screws, they're kinda expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My f300s finally arrived from Rob’s spa! The Titus only needed a service and the dial, hands, case and band are in excellent condition. The crown has the Titus logo as also seen on the dial. Absolutely no battery leakage corrosion as found in many of these movements. The 198.012 Seamaster f300 cone looks like it just came out of the display case, thanks to Rob’s case restorer. It needed a new crystal and bezel around the date window. The dial and hands, unlike many of these, are in great condition. When I bought it the movement hummed but didn’t run. Also no battery leakage issue and, fortunately, the date wheel is in good condition for now. This movement needed a couple parts in addition to service. The band is one of the plainer U.S. type bands. Earlier version without case back logo. All-in-all I couldn’t be happier with both f300 watches!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Dial on the Omega looks great! Those didn't tend to age so well...

Edit: noticed this is a crown at 2:00, I believe it has a different dial than the 3:00 models which tended to bubble.
Yes, many of the dials did “bubble”. Don’t know if there was a difference in manufacturing prep and painting. Rob would know if he has seen a difference.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
My f300s finally arrived from Rob’s spa! The Titus only needed a service and the dial, hands, case and band are in excellent condition. The crown has the Titus logo as also seen on the dial. Absolutely no battery leakage corrosion as found in many of these movements. The 198.012 Seamaster f300 cone looks like it just came out of the display case, thanks to Rob’s case restorer. It needed a new crystal and bezel around the date window. The dial and hands, unlike many of these, are in great condition. When I bought it the movement hummed but didn’t run. Also no battery leakage issue and, fortunately, the date wheel is in good condition for now. This movement needed a couple parts in addition to service. The band is one of the plainer U.S. type bands. Earlier version without case back logo. All-in-all I couldn’t be happier with both f300 watches!
In any case, WOW! Those are spectacular watches. Good job. Best of all they are tuning fork, right up my alley. Enjoy👍

1 - 18 of 18 Posts