WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post and would welcome any input on the following watch:
I recently was given an omega constellation watch which first appeared to be dead and of no further use. But on inspection it isn't drawer fodder.
The watch works but has a couple of issues 1. one of the numerals has come away from the dial and 2. if you tap the edge of the bezel the min hand will slip. (if kept on a surface it keeps time all day)

I took it into a watch repairers today to get some info and to have the back plate taken off( i don't have the tool for this and didn't want to scratch it).
So far i have researched that it is an omega constellation ...case no. 2652-22sc, cal .354 and movement no 1315618.
date wise 1952 to 1953 18ct gold capped bezel, bumper mechanism, sweeping second hand, observatory in gold on the back plate with stars .
The watch repairers first words out of his mouth were 'its an old one' and 'genuine omega' which the numbers agree.

The odd point is that everything is the same as others (pictures) ive seen, EXCEPT that rather than numbers or dashes etc around the dial for hours it has japanese characters for zodiac signs aries, taurus etc.
I cannot for the life of me find any reference to these being used and wondered if anyone has come across this configuration on an vintage constellation

I can post some pics if that would help ...thanks
P1611[01]_16-03-12_picnik.jpg japanesezodiacwheel.jpg P1612[02]_16-03-12.jpg P1613[02]_16-03-12.jpg

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi this is my first post and would welcome any input on the following watch:
I recently was given an omega constellation watch which first appeared to be dead and of no further use. But on inspection it isn't drawer fodder.
The watch works but has a couple of issues 1. one of the numerals has come away from the dial and 2. if you tap the edge of the bezel the min hand will slip. (if kept on a surface it keeps time all day)

I took it into a watch repairers today to get some info and to have the back plate taken off( i don't have the tool for this and didn't want to scratch it).
So far i have researched that it is an omega constellation ...case no. 2652-22sc, cal .354 and movement no 1315618.
date wise 1952 to 1953 18ct gold capped bezel, bumper mechanism, sweeping second hand, observatory in gold on the back plate with stars .
The watch repairers first words out of his mouth were 'its an old one' and 'genuine omega' which the numbers agree.

The odd point is that everything is the same as others (pictures) ive seen, EXCEPT that rather than numbers or dashes etc around the dial for hours it has japanese characters for zodiac signs aries, taurus etc.
I cannot for the life of me find any reference to these being used and wondered if anyone has come across this configuration on an vintage constellation

I can post some pics if that would help ...thanks
View attachment 30674 View attachment 30675 View attachment 30676 View attachment 30677

I have never seen anything like it... If the markers fell off I suspect that they were replaced in the past by the owner, and it wasn't done right. Or it could be original, a special order of some sort. :confused1:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would (without any real certainty or credentials) tend to think this is a modification of some sort. It seems far too unusual and visually cluttered to fit with what I have come to expect from 50's era omegas. Very interesting though, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. It has to be said that the pictures do not do the watch justice as the characters are more delicate and not at all cluttered when sat in the hand. Couple of points: the characters were tested (well the one that came loose) and are 18ct gold. The pegs on the characters were a perfect match to the original fitments on the dial. So in essence someone had gone to a lot of trouble and i guess expense to make this watch what it is today. or should i say in its forma glory.
Its hard to say for sure if i restore the watch and include a 50's strap etc that it would be of higher value than a standard watch of the same year or less value.:confused1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kyle sorry but i cant answer PM's as im not a paid up member. yes, i could be persuaded is my answer to your question

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update!!!

P0923_06-04-12.jpg

Thank you for all the replies and ive just got the watch back from a bit of an update.
The character has been refitted and the glass and gold given a polish also the inners have had a clean and an oil
certainly looks a lot nicer in my opinion

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts