WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I know nothing about watches. I really like the vintage 50s/60s Omega Seamaster watches. I have read that ebay has a lot of fake watches for sale. I noticed that prices differ quite drastically as well. I would like a vintage time piece with some wear and tear on it. I can't figure out though what is real and what is fake?

Any suggestions or websites to check?

VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER AUTOMATIC STAINLESS STEEL WATCH | eBay

Vintage Men's Omega Automatic Seamaster | eBay

com/itm/VINTAGE-OMEGA-SEAMASTER-COSMIC-166022-SS-AUTOMATIC-565-DATE-MENS-/170865903482?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27c866c77a#h t_500wt_1080

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Hi jessica!
Unfortunately, the best way is to take it to an Omega dealer for authentication, which you can't do if you haven't bought it yet. Or find an Omega Authorized Dealer who deals in pre-owned models.

Do homework. Read all you can find on the potential purchase. Look for sources (books, watch magazines, auction houses)that contain large, clear, color photos. Compare the source photos to the photos of the watch you're interested in.
It's the smaller details that counterfeiters mess up on. The minute marks may be too close to the edge of the dial or too far away. The "SWISS MADE" may be too close to the edge of the dial. The numbers could be printed instead of being made of gold and glued to the dial. The words on the dial may be the slightest bit fuzzy instead of clean and sharp, or they could be mis-spelled. A word may be missing altogether. A word may be slightly tilted down or crooked instead of being perfectly level. The numbers or minute markers may not be perfectly spaced between one another or they may be slightly crooked. It may have a black sweep second hand instead of a gold or red one.
..And the counterfeiters are getting better all the time.

Generally speaking, used watches are a safer bet than "brand new" ones. Unless it is a super-popular piece, for example the Elvis Presley/Men In Black Hamilton Ventura, it is not worth the counterfeiter's time to fake used watches.
But having said that...
Know what you're buying. And know the seller too! On eBay, try and buy from sellers who have 99-100% feedback. If there are complaints against a seller find out why. Did the seller do something wrong, or did the buyer make the mistake and blame the seller just to get even?
Ask the seller every single question you can possibly think of. Ask for more (clear) pictures of the watch being sold (especially the movement). Ask if he still has the original papers that came with the watch, or a receipt from when the watch was last serviced (unserviced watches are just asking for problems and repairs).

And ALWAYS come to us for help! If and when you see an Omega (or any watch) you're interested in, let us know where we can look at it, or post photos of it, and we'll be glad to give you our opinion on whether or not it's a safe purchase. Just give us some advance notice in case we don't see your post right away!

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go to the Omega website and bookmark their vintage watch database
Compare the case#'s, pictures, descriptions, etc from this database to the watches you are looking at
Read and research and look at as many pictures of the watches as you can find
Do your homework, educate yourself, ask questions on this site, show pictures here of the watches you have in question

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Good advice- I welcome people who do their homework before turning to us for help. BUT...
There are eBay sellers who supply some of the world's worst pictures of what they're trying to sell. They give you few or one single fuzzy tiny picture of something that COULD be a wrist watch and expect you to bid on it!
It's really hard to do your comparison on that basis.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think you have to protect yourself from dealers on Ebay who provide fuzzy pictures and a lack of detailed information. Message them for more info, measurements, and pictures, and if they do not comply, move on to another listing, IMO

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Quite frankly, if I'm spending that kind of money on a watch, I wanna be able to look the seller right in the eye and hold the watch in my hand first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I am going to purchase my first Omega from a used watch dealer near my place. He is running the shop inside a reputable shopping mall but that does not guarantee that he is genuine. I just want to seek some neutral opinion and expertise over here to tell if these watches are genuine:

Watch Clock Gadget Analog watch Font
Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Everyday carry
Watch Silver Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Welcome!
My gut reaction is that the watch dealer is OK. In general: the more reputable the mall-the higher the rent...something unscrupulous people usually avoid. It's also the kind of place where you're likely to be "found out" if you're doing something wrong.

As for your pictures, they may or may not help (these days watch counterfeiters are frighteningly efficient at copying the outside of a watch. It's the inside stuff like the movement where the real story is told). I'm copying your question(s) over to our OMEGA FORUM where all the Omega gurus hang. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
As for your pictures, they may or may not help (these days watch counterfeiters are frighteningly efficient at copying the outside of a watch. It's the inside stuff like the movement where the real story is told). I'm copying your question(s) over to our OMEGA FORUM where all the Omega gurus hang. Good luck!
X2 - if the prices are too good to be true, I would want them to remove the case back and see the movement.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
Your typical watch seller (I am assuming we are talking about honest vendors) will not open up the watch for just anybody. And rightly so- he wants to keep the insides of his watches as dirt-free as possible. But if you seriously intend on making the purchase I see no reason why he or she would not do it for you.

And yes, the outside does look so real. Counterfeiters are getting so good these days the ONLY way to tell if it is fake or not is to take it to an Authorized Dealer and have him examine the movement.

Whenever possible, buy a watch from an Authorized Dealer, a vendor you already know to be honorable, or use references that you trust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had much luck bringing my omegas to a dealer to have them certify. Just ask the dealer if they will guarantee authenticity and bring it to an omega dealer to have them look at it, if its fake, bring it back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.