WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE SOLAR IMPULSE

is a long-range solar plane project currently under study at the EPFL. The project is promoted by Bertrand Piccard, and aims at completely solar-powered circumnavigation.

OMEGA as you know is an active partner in the project. Other participants are

Solvay
a Belgian chemical and pharmaceutical company

Duetsche bank
Well.... every project needs funding.

Altran Technologies, SA
a European consulting firm founded in 1982 in France. Altran, self dubbed the European leader in high technology and innovation consultancy. It is taking an ever increasing role in environmental issues and made inroads into the field of Ecological Design.

Technological input for the project comes from
EPFL - one of Europe's leading institutions in science and technology
ESA - European Space Agency
Dassault - The French aircraft manufacturer

In October you may recall that George Clooney was appointed a director of a new Swiss energy company headed by Nickolas Hayek.The company, which will develop environmentally friendly techniques for car motors, batteries and other devices, is aimed at reducing CO2-emissions in energy consumption, Hayek said in an interview that George Clooney will sit on the board alongside Swiss astronaut Claude Nicollier.

None of this incidentally causes any alarm on my part in respect of Omega's future since Nicholas Hayek being the saviour of the Swiss watch industry is unlikely to be the architect of its' demise. He could be diversifying of course as Omega's participation in the Solar Impulse project and George Clooney's inclusion on the board of the energy company would testify. In any event, it's good publicity for Omega :thumbup:

No, the things that stick in my mind are

1. Whether this may mean there's a new Speedmaster on the way :001_smile:

and

2. Why didn't he ask Matt Damon instead of George Clooney

Y'all have a nice day pals :)

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mike

Heh Heh Pal

When I saw that you had responded to this thread I wondered if perhaps your ladies had been moved to chime in on the second matter that I raised.

Well, I think Picard has lined himself up for the task for flyng one leg of the five man task of piloting the plane.

Why not?

Email him - you never know what could be round the corner. Here's a jpg with some contact details ;)

Be well pal and your ladies too :)

ZIN

·
Registered
246 Posts
The ladies have stopped debating the point. They'll never change their minds. You just don't realize that they've won yet. I conceded all arguments to women years ago (you saw why in the last photo of the two) and it has resulted in great tranqulity and happiness.
Mike

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well pal

Indeed you have greater experience in this field. I'll therefore leave this and the flying to you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Be well now pal and keep enjoying the harmony of life :)

ZIN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Myself, I'd be nervous if it turned cloudy and I had to circle an Airport for several hours...get my drift?

Watchcritic
aka Watchcritic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts