WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an interesting (at least I think so) old women's Benrus that I sent out for repair because it does not work but I would love to be able to wear it. Here are pictures of it before repair. I'm hoping they don't "over" repair it, actually, as I like the appearance just fine as-is. The scratches on the dial and case aren't as noticeable in real life as they look in the photos because it is actually a very small watch. You can tell from the size of my fingers in the photos, how small the watch actually is.

The band is some kind of lizard I think. I don't have a very good photo, but I'll put up what I could get. Initially it looks like wood but when you look closely, you can see the 3-dimensional scales. That and the very interesting case and crystal shape, makes me really love this watch.

I wanted to start a new thread for it, because it came up in a different thread and sort of hijacked the original post.

If anyone is curious, the cost was quoted as $250 to perform maintenance and repair on this watch (including new spring), in the New England (US) area. Another place quoted $350 but that was a very poshy, pricey jewelry store, and a third place told me $500 before even looking at it so clearly they had no interest in actually doing it. I was told it will take several weeks to a month to be done (the quote itself took over a month, probably partly because of the holiday rush), so it will be several months in total that I won't have my watch

If it looks much different when it comes back, I'll post new pictures but I'm assuming it will look mostly the same.

Watch Gold Finger Natural material Material property
Gesture Finger Gold Natural material Material property

Food Rectangle Cuisine Ingredient Gas

Motor vehicle Jewellery Metal Font Fashion accessory

· Super Moderator
17,356 Posts
Nice oddity, and the best of luck to you. It pleases me to hear you're okay with the watch's aesthetics as they stand. I also have a watch or two whose crystal affects way you see the dial -
Watch Clock Rectangle Font Gas

I wouldn't worry too much about over-repairs. Those guys are usually pretty darn good at not doing what you don't ask them to do.

· Registered
45 Posts
Hello Wednesday. I did not realize how much they are now getting for the servicing of these small watches.
I think if it were mine, I would polish the case some and also try and find another crystal. It does have a unique shape to it. What is important is that you enjoy the watch and that you like it. We like pics so take some more when you get it back and congrats on your watch.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Wednesday. I did not realize how much they are now getting for the servicing of these small watches.
I think if it were mine, I would polish the case some and also try and find another crystal. It does have a unique shape to it. What is important is that you enjoy the watch and that you like it. We like pics so take some more when you get it back and congrats on your watch.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think a crystal replacement would have to be custom made and not worth the expense on an essentially valueless old watch. I personally love it though, so it's worth it to me to get it running. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the wear-and-tear that it shows at this point. Shows it's lived a life and been loved. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts