WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate your opinions: I need a nice watch to wear with a suit. I have an old (1967, I think) Omega Seamaster De Ville, which is gold-filled and runs fine (and it looks a lot better in real life than the photo shows). But thanks to the good (but disappointing) advice I received from this forum, it's not worth nearly what I thought it was. So I'm thinking of selling it and getting a new Hamilton Jazzmaster quartz. I figure the cost of the new Hamilton would be about what I would (hopefully) get selling the Omega on eBay. I want an elegant, yet understated, classic look, and I think both of these watches fit the bill. Thank you in advance for your advice! Ethan Watch Analog watch White Light Product
Watch Analog watch Light Watch accessory Clock

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Ethan,

quartz is sort of ok if you're simply interested in wearing a watch to tell the time.

If you want something that you'll be happy to show people and give you that little "buzz" when you put it on then a mechanical watch is a better bet.

The Hamilton Jazzmaster range has a large number of Viewmatics varying from 38mm to 45mm.

they all have reputable ETA automatic movements in them. If you have a quick flick through the sponsors websites and some of the other sales sites on the web you will find a dizzying variety of great watches at prices that are significantly cheaper than what you'll pay at an AD.

I've got a couple of Jazzmasters (Tonneau and Day-Date) and I love 'em to bits. There are plenty of posters here on the forum that have them as well.

slip over to the Hamilton website www.hamiltonwatch.com and have a butchers.

cheers,

Sean

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Simple WIS equation: vintage mechanical watch > modern battery powered computer chip that's programmed to tell time using the frequency of a shard of mineral.

Vintage watches have character, especially heirlooms. Your SMDV comes from the end of an era. Battery powered assaults on true horology were introduced just a couple years after your watch was made, causing the cheapening of mechanical watch movements. It was the final nail in the coffin for many companies.

Have that watch cleaned up and show it off it with pride. You won't see every Tom, Dick, and Harry wearing one like with quartz thingies. Or if you sell it, use the funds to buy another vintage piece like a Hamilton as Sean mentioned. Remember to ask us to vet potential purchases for you so you get a correct and authentic piece.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
you'll only have the idiot part down if you buy an Omega.

:wink:

Reactions: huntershooter

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Ahh....

the sweet smell as autumn slowly drifts over the horizon.. bringing with it another season of cross country wrestling (Football) Icebrawl and Omega owner baiting....

does it get any better than this :)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You know what they say about a bird in the hand...? The watch you have has a vintage style and flair unique to itself that no new watch can duplicate. When you sell it, you are subject to the vagaries of the market. You may not get near what you expect...maybe more. It's hard to say. Once that's settled, you become a buyer in a seller's market hunting for this particular model at the low end of Hamilton's range.

Since you already have a nice vintage watch (even though it's an Omega), keep it, have it serviced and wear it in good health.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I only wear quartz when I'm handling hazardous materials, sewage, acid or cement - or if I know I am going to be very sweaty or maybe working on an engine.........

The exception to this might be some sort of crazy G-shock just for the wild color.

·
Super Moderator
16,557 Posts
Dave, every once-in-a-while the wingman will just have to dance with the fat chick!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Take the advice here and keep the Omega. Have it serviced and wear it with pride. I get more compliments on my vintage Omegas than my newer Rolexs. Quartz works OK for a knock around watch, but not for dress.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.