WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
27,654 Posts
Try repeating "Open Sesame!". Sometimes "Alakazam!" works too.

Seriously, we may need to see pictures. It may have a snap off back which can be opened with a sharp knife. It may have a screw on back that requires a special tool - there will be 6 cut-outs along the perimeter of the caseback..

· Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I saw way too many scratches on casebacks...:scared::scared:

Drop by a local watchmaker if there is one near where you live.
Thay have much more experience and the tools for it..;)
hehehe... you'd think so wouldn't you? But my watchmaker doesn't have a tool to remove the caseback for my Breitling and he has too much integrity to 'give it a go' with something else.
Still, he was back from the States last week, so maybe he picked one up while over there. Probably not, he was there to admire cars, not watches...

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks guys..

You guys are a hoot! Thanks.:biggrin:

I got the back off without issue.. the problem is getting the movement out. It looks like there is a clip near the stem, but I am worried about messing with it. Apparently, there is a "rare" movement, a number 520 marking, I believe, wherein only 3000 were made. This watch is in that grouping, and I am curious about it.

I will try to get to the office today and post up a pic or two.

BTW: Is there a pocket watch or antique forum on here?? I just bought some seriously nice and/or old pocket watches going back to 1871, some gold some not...

Thanks,
Chuck

· Registered
304 Posts
What are the caseback ref#s? The vintage database does not indicate that a 14k seamaster was produced with cal. 520. It shows a ss, gold cap and 18k.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

There are no markings on the back, only the seahorse logo thing. I mis-spoke. I got the FRONT off, not the back. The bezel and crystal pop right off, (gasket, etc) but the stem is thru the case and holding the movement in, so I can't get the movement out without trying to pop that clip. I have no idea what would happen if that clip is for something else. :scared:

So, no 520 movement on the 14kt Deville, anyway. Would be nice to know what year... etc.

Thanks, bro
Chuck

· Registered
304 Posts
Does the watch have a date feature? Nope, I don't believe any of the uni shell deville's had a cal. 520. Check the number again, cal. 560 is the supposed rare deville model.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO date feature on face

Mike,

Thanks.

It's a Deville. Even if I manage to get it apart, is there any way to tell the date of manufacture?

I guess I would know, at least, the movement type.

Still haven't gotten it opened. I will check with a watch maker. Usually, harder to get back together than to open I would think. I hate to screw it up.

Chuck

· Registered
304 Posts
Usually the best way is the serial # off the movement, but since the movement is probably not original to the watch, thats not the best in this case. The caseback ref#s would be the indicator for the case but still thats usually a 5 year or so range. Most likely the case was made mid 60s. I believe cal. 520 was introduced late 50s.

Take some pics when you get a chance and get the caseback ref#s for us too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.