WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

OK, say you had around $3,000 - $4,000 to invest in a watch...what's the short list?

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  j-son 
#1 ·
I'm considering bringing home something new - again. As usual, I'm seeking guidance and ideas, mostly because I enjoy the hunt/find almost as much as the owning. ;)

So, given I prefer Omega Seamaster-esque type styles, over say, a Rolex Date Just-style, what's the list of suspects look like. I've always kind of liked Corum, but find many of their designs to be a bit fussy. Not really into dress watches as my life doesn't support the need for them. I'm way to casual day-to-day and rarely ever need to "dress" for anything.

I have large wrists, so 44mm diameter is about the smallest I'd consider, too, which again kills most Rolex models that come up in this price range. I've been viewing th eusual suspects: Tag, Ebel, Fortis, IWC, Breitling, Omega, Corum, etc.

It just seems to go back and forth.

I'm not currently stuck on any brand.

There's nothing that says all that money NEEDS to be spent, and there could be a case for going a bit over the upper limit depending on the situation.

So, if you have an idea for something you think fits the criteria, please post up so I can go take a gander. :)

Thanks gang.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
1) As was said above, for sure check out LUMTEC.....a GREAT bang for the buck watch brand.
Well built pieces, with a top notch customer service!!
In addition the their awesome tungsten line, also check out V-series .

2) well under your budget, but this DEEP BLUE - Day Night Ops - T100 with Swiss ETA and tritium tubes is a great bargain IMO:

...built like a tank, 44mm, diver ext. bracelet, luminova bezel, T100 tritium tubes, my example performs within COSC specs,....the best money I have ever spent on a watch.
It's only about 6 month old model. I think they all sold out fast, but I see them here and there for $550 - $600 on pre-owned market in mint condition.

#8 · (Edited)
Though personally I'm still in the process of budget building and don't own one myself, I couldn't agree more with the seiko suggestions. The ananta chronograph is a beautiful watch. Having had the recent opportunity to handle one in person, I might add that the wrist presence, though substantial, never approaches what one might consider gaudy.

Should I remain disciplined enough in my own budget I hope to someday own a mechanically marvelous Spring Drive. All Seiko Spring Drives I feel deserve some mention here, as one could do worse than the most technically ingenuitive movement to date. The Ananta Spring Drive might test your upper limit but I'd check one out if you're willing to reconsider that budget :thumbup1:

#10 · (Edited)
I'm new to this, but think if I was spending $3-4k, I would want something more unique than Seiko. Sure people don't see these higher end mechanical ones much at all, but everyone has a quartz Seiko, and most would think it's just some fancy dials on an otherwise cheap watch, IMHO.

Personally, I like having things that are different - not seen on very street corner, (and why i dont own a Rolex). I'm currently looking a little lower than this price range ($2-3k) and thinking Ball.

#14 ·
I agree with tc about the Seiko. They make some nice watches, but it sure seems to be lost on many who see them at every (and I mean EVERY) jewerly store in the mall. It's also a bit difficult to understand the recommendations for $500-$1000 watches when the OP is looking for a watch in the $3000-$4000 range.

My top recommendation as a recent owner of the piece is the Glycine Lagunare L1000 Chrono. No watch I've ever owned gets brought up for discussion more than this one. It's nice and big without crossing the line into silliness.

Attachments

#12 ·
Some great idea so far gang! Thanks!

The RGM has my eye, and I really should review Ball's collection again. One strike against the Ball is a coworker has one - and its back gettting fixed for the 2nd time. :( Same deal with Bell & Ross - another coworker has one and it went in three times to be fixed...wow.

The only drawbacks I'm seeing is some of the suggestons are a bit dressy for my needs,a nd many are way too small. Still, I'll take a look to not blind myself to any opportunities. :)

Thanks again gang - I appreciate your time.

duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.