WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really considered myself a collector of watches. British medals is my field.
But, having started research into my fathers Bulova I can now see the interest of these marvelous electro mechanical devices.
I thought I would see if I could pick a couple up cheaply, mainly for research into the inner workings.
I had to start somewhere, so went to goodwill..
Picked this up for $18 :) Consider that a small price for such a fantastic device.
It's not running at the moment, somewhat of a gamble.. But will have fun trying to get it going again.
Any thoughts on the movement type?
It's on route, so have not had a chance to examine it.
Steve

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Everyday carry
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Drink Motor vehicle
Bag Luggage and bags Rectangle Strap Font

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
They do get you interested and drag you in don't they ? I have no idea what movement it will contain but will be surprised if it is a tuning fork movement. I think the bracelet is worth what you paid for the watch. Let us know what you find inside.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will post a pic up once it gets here Friday.
Hoping it has a tuning fork type movement. Or some derivation of it.
Would they have called it a accutron and had a mechanical movement?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Bulova used the Accutron name for many kinds of watches unfortunately. The name had become so iconic they cashed in on it. You can buy new Accutrons today but the last tuning fork one, except for a limited edition one, was made in 1977.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Interesting design not generally seen on true tuning fork Accutrons however, Bulova did produce some models with not in the norm for an Accutron. The "N3" (1973) date on the case back places the watch in the correct time frame. Only a pic of the movement will tell.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It should be a 2301 series movement. That is the small round tuning fork movement found in some lady's accutrons. I have worked on them. The coil will come out with a couple screws. They also added larger dials to put them in 218 cases (with 3 o'clock crown) I believe. I have three of these movement but only one works (I suck at gambling). It has a single-coil design whose asix perpendicular to that of every other tuning fork movement. Should you find out why it's not running, parts are pretty cheap!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got to love the Internet.
Almost old enough to recall the pre google days.
I can not imagine how difficult it would have been to search out these watches back then.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have only 2 Accutrons with the 230 movement and one of those is out for repair at the moment but the script on this watch doesn't look like the script on the back of any of my Accutrons. I'd still like to see a picture of the movement.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy dance.
Watch arrived. Looks to be in a great condition.
Unscrewed the case. There was a 343 cell fitted. Removed that and put in a 344. Screwed the clamp down, replaced the back. Held it to my ear :) humming away nicely. :) so happy. First Accutron purchase $18.
Wife is very happy. Watch Analog watch Amber Clock Watch accessory

Wood Button Circle Metal Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Musical instrument Wood Clock

Watch Brown Analog watch Rectangle Wood

Wood Material property Metal Composite material Hardwood

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Congratulations ! You realize of course that you now need one for yourself.
My wife's 230 is out for repair and the fellow who has it just told me that he has it running but that it is running 2 minutes fast per week and he his trying to slow it down. I'm hoping to have it back soon.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Really nice catch! Glad it is running well. Keep an eye on the accuracy over a day, then over a week and month. If it is a keeper and you need service, use Ludmil. He does wonders with 221s and 230s. I have four 230s - two running (one serviced by Ludmil) and two ready for service (bought that way) - plus six 221s (five serviced by Ludmil) that are all running well.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really nice catch! Glad it is running well. Keep an eye on the accuracy over a day, then over a week and month. If it is a keeper and you need service, use Ludmil. He does wonders with 221s and 230s. I have four 230s - two running (one serviced by Ludmil) and two ready for service (bought that way) - plus six 221s (five serviced by Ludmil) that are all running well.

Well it's been running 24hrs and has gained 10 mins. So I guess somethings not right. Could it be the battery? Should I try one of those lower voltage accucell before sending it off?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Running fast has been my problem with my 230 movements. I have a man's 230 Anniversary model that ran fast when I got it. I sent it off to a guy in Michigan for repair. It came back running fast so I sent it back to him and after several months, told him to just return it to me and then I sent it off to the guy who works on my other Accurtons. He had never worked on a 230 but said he'd try it and it came back running well.
Now he has a 230 that I bought for my wife and he is having a problem getting it slowed down.
I have a couple of 221's in the junk drawer and have just about decided that's a good place for them but maybe I'll change my mind.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
No, a battery type change isn't necessary and won't solve the problem. Running that fast needs proper service, pure and simple. IMHO, if a watchmaker can't solve the problem, they don't know how to properly diagnose, repair and regulate a 230.

I always thought the 230 I bought for my then-to-be wife in 1974 had an unusual rhythmic sound not heard in other calibers of Accutron mvts. It always ran but in recent years was slowing down. After Ludmil serviced the mvt. and replaced the index wheel, the mvt. sounds smooth like never before and the mvt. keeps very accurate time. It is my feeling that the index wheel was defective from new. Since then, I have bought a few other 230s and non sounded strange like my wife's did when new.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it is a keeper and you need service, use Ludmil. He does wonders with 221s and 230s. I have four 230s - two running (one serviced by Ludmil) and two ready for service (bought that way) - plus six 221s (five serviced by Ludmil) that are all running well.
What sort of cost are we talking about to have him service this 230?

Looking over here in the US I see online quotes in the $250 ball park. Hardly seems worth it for a watch with little value.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.