WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because I liked this picture so much, I'm going to post it over here as well. JBH says its a contest winner for sure, so I'm trying to get him to start a watch and oil contest.

This is some olive oil Breitling sent to JBH that he was kind enough to give to me since I like both olive oil and Breitling. . Not sure if I can use it to oil the movements or not though. :confused1:

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words everyone. The Olympus will soon be under new ownership of ScottD. Hopefully he will post some new and exciting pictures of it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Shell used motor oil to lube some pocketwatches sold a gas stations for $5 in 1940 to promote how good their motor oil was!

Pics by Samie L. Smith

Posted by Jim Haney of the Internet Horology Club 185:
"They are a piece of Americana. I forgot the whole story but the main facts were that the Shell marketing people filled these with a new type of Shell motor oil and gave the watches to most of their dealers and then did poster ads to push the oil. If the watch would run with Golden Shell Motor Oil it must be great stuff! Right! After a few months the watches stopped and had to be cleaned and live on. "

1 - 13 of 13 Posts