Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Ed Cernan

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... who amongst them are your favourites?

Just for fun guys and because the poll function currently only allows 10 options, I reluctantly have to drop Michael Collins and Alfred Worden from the reckoning though heroes they both are too.

I have set this poll to allow " multiple choices " so you are not restricted to just one astronaut - hope this works.....

Y'all be well now :)

ZIN

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I thought Tom Hanks would have been there as well but instead I voted Neil Armstrong.

Only because I have heard of him and I must admitt some of those guys I never even knew exsisted.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Pals

You can choose more than one!!!!!

I've set the poll up for multiple choices.

Y'all Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought Tom Hanks would have been there as well but instead I voted Neil Armstrong.

Only because I have heard of him and I must admitt some of those guys I never even knew exsisted.

LOL Good Buddy

OK those guys are -

Gemini IV First American Spacewalk - Ed White

Apollo XI - Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin

Apollo XIII - Messrs Lovell, Swigert and Haise

Apollo XV - Messrs Scott and Irwin

Apollo XVII - Ed Cernan

Because of the restriction on options ( we can only have 10 currently ), I left out the Command Module pilots and forgot all about Jack Schmitt :001_rolleyes: who was the Lunar Module pilot on Apollo XVII

OK Pal ;)

Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Registered
979 Posts
I wonder why Omega has not made an LE for John Young or Charlie Duke, Apollo 16. Charlie is probably one of the nicest of all Moonwalkers.

Also, and I've posted this before, John Young is the longest serving astronaut in NASA history. He flew on Gemini, Apollo 16 (Moonwalker) and took the maiden voyage of the Space Shuttle with Bob Crippen. Come on Omega, give props!

On a footnote, Buzz Aldrin has had a bad relationship with Omega in the past from what I've read. They used the pic of him in the LM with the watch, but didn't compensate him. When he asked for compensation, they told him to "Buzz off." Naturally a lawsuit developed. I don't remember what the outcome was. I must have read this in the early 1980s.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Mr MacDaddy

I thought you'd be here sooner or later :)

I think Thomas Stafford could/should have been commemorated having been an ambassador for Omega.

Don't know what to make of Buzz Aldrin. Would the picture being in the public domain have a bearing on whether he could seek compensation? Perhaps some of our resident legal eagles can offer an opinion or two. One thing that concerns me about Buzz though is that he seems quite a feisty fellow to me. That's just my uninformed opinion of course.

Be well now pal :)

ZIN

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hey Zin!

Yes, I made it here. Cool place.

Buzz has always been nothing but friendly, courteous and nice to me. Although I've never given him a reason to be otherwise. He has shown a rough side in the past and has admitted he was an alcoholic and depressive.

As far as I know, if you're a "public figure", you don't have the same rights as us private individuals, BUT, if your image is used as a main element to generate profit, you have a right to either put a stop to it or be compensated.

Buzz's photo in an Omega ad is like a personal endorsement at that point, so yes, he's got some say even though the photo may be public domain. Some will argue differently.

As far as copyright, I believe NASA does not own copyrights to any of the mission photos since they are technically owned by the government and were taken for the benefit of mankind, but you do need permission to use them.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I would say that the intention was obviously to use his image to promote a product. Perhaps a little bit of " being nice " would have made for a better relationship. After all, you never know who you may need.

Hey I like your siggy pal :thumbup1:

ZIN

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have no way of of choosing except for the fact that Gene Cernan's book "Last Man On The Moon" tells the most fascinating stories about all of the astronauts and those early days of space flight. The tale of Ed White's space walk is amazing and frightening. We really were on a wing and a prayer in those days. The technology was cutting edge at the time but prehistoric compared to what we're all typing on. Brave and dedicated men both on the ground and in the air can take the credit.
Mike

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually I could and perhaps should have added Ken Mattingly, the astronaut who missed out on being on Mission 13 because he didn't pass the final medical. Instead, because of the knowledge gained during training, he was able to replicate the conditions in the lunar module and help the astronauts of Apollo XIII to reach home safely.

Omega did issue a very low volume Mattingly Speedy. More about that in a forthcoming Homage to Bienne thread.

Be well pals :)

ZIN

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I agree with MacDaddy . . .

John Young and Charlie Duke are the only two that I have met and are both impressive gentlemen.

I'm really not into LEs but I would be honored to wear either edition on my wrist.

But for now, I'm pleased to wear my 105.012 like those worn by the moon walkers.

Fr. John+

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Brother John

You may have your Seamaster sisters

but it seems to me that

Gee Jaay and you are

The Cal 321 Brothers :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ZIN

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
And remember,

Bulova has already done a "Buzz LE":

Yes, Buzz sued Omega (and encouraged Neil to do likewise) for using his photos in advertising. But because of the notoriety of the event and no NASA copyright, the photos were found to be "in the public domain."

Fr. John+

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What a classic watch!!!

Thanks for reviving the memories Brother

I'm seeking that battle-worn Bulova clock. Now that's my grail........ as if!!!:lol:

Catch you soon Bro and Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I voted Jack Swigert for this poll.

He's not my favourite astronaut but in respect to the Speedy Pro he deserves a special edition more than anybody else because of the way he used his during Apollo 13s trajectory changes on it's way back to earth.

Now I have to add a little note here which I'm hoping for some feedback on:

Jack Swigert was seen to use his Speedy Pro in the film "Apollo 13" in the manner described above. However, I've heard from other sources that he was the one who said "Houston we have a problem", and not Jim Lovell, and that it was one of the other two astronauts on Apollo 13 who used their Speedy Pros to time the thrust instead.:confused1: Can anybody confirm this for me please?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts