WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi..new member from the uk.
just received my ist ball piece,ist time ive had one in my hand if im honest,bought online impulse sale buy but nothing new to me as all i do is buy online inpulsively :thumbup1:

engineer gmt diver--not sure on how to post pics but link above if anyone is out their.

had a look around this site last night but could not find any info on this one :001_wub: unpopular model i assume allthough its what im about so thats that.

5-7 pints of stella in and its starting to look good to me now,have threw my old zenith to the side:biggrin:

i was lead to believe the 2pm crown for inner bezel was screw down where its not on this ,i hope its not a damaged as it seems to work fine but am a bit dubious to why it does not screw down so if anyone can help with an answer to that i would be gratefull :thumbup:

for the fee paid it is growing on me pretty well-looked a bit toy at ist but now im getting on with it well .

i have owned 50+ swiss watches of well named brands where im not easilly impressed allthough allways on a bubget when buying.

at the moment and quite pleased with the ball & glad to inlist on the forum to view more about the brand :biggrin:

happy new year from the casual.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I've always been a fan of that diver. Personally, I would have bought it if the bezel had been all-black instead of silver and black.

While the first generation of this watch had a screw down crown (if memory serves me right), later production runs used the non-screw down crown. This way you can adjust the bezel while underwater. The downside, of course, is that you also can accidentally bump and change the dive time setting underwater.

Enjoy!

Rob

PS: I fixed the picture link so that the watch would appear in your message.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems strange to me that a dive watch can have the bezel changed accidentally. That's the last thing you'd want?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm not sure what would have to happen to accidentally turn a crown, especially with the solid click detents these have.

Surely,it's much less likely than turning a bezel (which is why they only turn one direction)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply on the crown issue,i also spoke with an ad on the phone today who also stated on comparing to another that the crown does not screw down which with the messages above has made me fell i can breathe with ease at last :thumbup:

i myself would have preferred the gold dial over the silver as it looks a bit more stand out but the dealer only had the silver on offer where at £870 or 1350 us seemed to good of an offer to be pulling my face at the dial colour :biggrin: most of the other uk dealers are still asking £1870 where a clean large one of the price was a decent opertunity to try a solid looking tool watch out.

also the added suprise of the included deployant was nice as the listing stated buckle only :thumbup:

for the price paid it offers a lot against something popular like a battery tag heuer at the same price point.

i have never had a rubber strap before,allways ss which i would have prefered on this piece also as the rubber is a bit grippy on my arm and i cannot alter it out slight which is annoying,the next hole on the strap gives to much room so im hopeing being rubber it may stretch a little in time if im lucky.

my biggest dissapointment overall is the crown action.after reading a few reviews where new buyers where saying how good they feel in operation and the precise clicking in action of rotating the bezel does not ring true in my opinion,to me the axtion feels quite cheap as if it could break at anytime also the crowns themselves feel relitivelly flimsy to the touch.on top of that the unsigned deployant is not up to much either against others i have.

i comparred the crown action and feel last night against a 90s tag a 90s zenith defy and a 90s zenith elprimero where all actions of crown movement on these older watch feel better than the ball to me allthought the crowns on the are larger i dont think that should make any difference .

if i would have paid the rrp i dont think i would be overly impressed,at the price paid i think it feels about right concidering the movement it has and the overall feel of the piece.

as i bought it blind without haveing handled one before i feel i have a right to state my opinion of the watch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts