WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is always a WRUW daily on the Hamilton page. Today seemed to be a mostly "non-Hamilton" day over there.

I am sporting my Lord Elgin 'Clubman' today. I am still looking for the perfect strap but, in the interim I have paired it with this vintage Speidel two toned.

What is on your wrist or, in your pocket this fine day?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That has to be one of the cleanest dials I've ever seen on a Clubman that wasn't an obvious redial. And if it IS a redial, then it was expertly done. :thumbup1:

You know, Hadley made a bracelet they called the Clubman. I don't know whether it was meant to be paired with the Clubman watch, though since Hadley was a division of Elgin at the time that seems a reasonable conclusion. However, I've never seen an Elgin ad with a Clubman on anything but a plain black strap. The ad copy for a 1951 Elgin ad reads:

This 21-jewel Lord Elgin has a graph-design dial highlighted by hairlines of gold. Its black enamel hour track has hours marked in gold as part of the case. Suede strap for added smartness. $71.50

Somebody must have a 5/8" black suede strap.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This is a great idea, Rob!

My watch for today is an Elgin Crusader:

It's a tough watch to get a good picture of. The facets of the crystal, and the case, catch light at different angles. In person, it's much more striking than the picture shows.

You may remember this watch from the 'Request for Opinions' thread. I bought it with a black dial, which is all pitted and scabrous, but then found a movement with a white dial. I tried it with both, but couldn't decide. The watch was on an old bracelet, so I tried a black strap, and when I put the black strap together with the white dial, it really popped!

I chose this one because it's a Christmas watch!

However, since the movement dates to 1953 or so, it was almost certainly bought used.

BTW, last night, I received another Crusader, in WHITE gold filled, with a black dial - in MUCH better shape than the other black dial. But it needs some work - it's gaining time at a ferocious rate! AND it needs its faceted crystal, and its own black strap. Pictures will follow when it's wrist ready!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That has to be one of the cleanest dials I've ever seen on a Clubman that wasn't an obvious redial. And if it IS a redial, then it was expertly done. :thumbup1:

You know, Hadley made a bracelet they called the Clubman. I don't know whether it was meant to be paired with the Clubman watch, though since Hadley was a division of Elgin at the time that seems a reasonable conclusion. However, I've never seen an Elgin ad with a Clubman on anything but a plain black strap. The ad copy for a 1951 Elgin ad reads:

This 21-jewel Lord Elgin has a graph-design dial highlighted by hairlines of gold. Its black enamel hour track has hours marked in gold as part of the case. Suede strap for added smartness. $71.50

Somebody must have a 5/8" black suede strap.
Yeah, I haven't asked Scott about a suede strap yet. I will put that on the to do list. Casual searching hasn't rendered the solution. (Maybe he will see this. :wink:)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yeah, I haven't asked Scott about a suede strap yet. I will put that on the to do list. Casual searching hasn't rendered the solution. (Maybe he will see this. :wink:)
Last time I looked, he has a Clubman bracelet, but it's not listed as such.

I still think I'd prefer a black strap, though.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last time I looked, he has a Clubman bracelet, but it's not listed as such.

I still think I'd prefer a black strap, though.
That band is beautiful, and "has to" go with the 'Clubman' model but, at this point, that might be a bit out of the price range.:sad: If I saw an ad picturing it in place, that might start me saving my pennies....:laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts