WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you avoid when buying a watch? For me: Roman numerals, gold/rose tone, square/rectangle cases, case size smaller than 38mm - larger than 45mm, any bling (gem stones, MOP). Straps and bracelets are not an issue since they are easily changable.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Size is often a deal breaker for me. I don't like to wear a watch under 36mm, and anything over 40mm MUST be tried in person before I'll pull the trigger. I've learned the hard way not to buy watches with anything but acrylic or sapphire crystals, I have far too many scratched mineral crystal watches! No more silver dials & hands, or skeleton dialed watches... too hard to read. I also really prefer a date. I have several dateless watches, but they spend more time in the drawer than on my wrist, so I've come to avoid them as well.

·
Banned
778 Posts
What do you avoid when buying a watch? For me: Roman numerals, gold/rose tone, square/rectangle cases, case size smaller than 38mm - larger than 45mm, any bling (gem stones, MOP). Straps and bracelets are not an issue since they are easily changable.
My choices:

Quartz (Grand Seiko Spring Drive could get a look in).
Anything above 44m (I reserve the right to change my mind).
Chinese watches (sorry to those that love them).
Pure homage brands.
Open heart dials.
Precious metal bracelets (I reserve the right to change my mind).
Anything at full retail price when buying new (good discount a must unless the piece is so rare it is a cast iron investment).

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Anything with a crown on its dial.:001_tt2:

Reactions: CometHunter

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, I know that stainless steel bracelets are the most popular but I just don't like them.
Whenever I buy a watch with one on the first thing I do is replace it with a leather strap.
I live in Thailand and to walk around, particularly in Bangkok, with a nice shiny SS bracelet on a Rolex is like wearing a big neon sign saying TAKE ME!

·
Registered
706 Posts
1. Size, smaller than 38mm and larger than 45mm.
2. Although I own a few, mainly gift watches, I try to avoid open heart dials.
3. Too much bling, I don't mind some diamonds if they are used a hour markers on the dial but not in the bezel or the bracelet.
4. I avoid Chinese watches for the most part unless they given as a gift to me.
5. I prefer automatics but quartz is okay unless it is from China.
6. I don't care for Roman Numerals either.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Just counterfeits.
Everything else that is cool I regard as greats!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't care for roman numerals either, but occasionally a watch "convinces" me. I avoid anything with a rubber strap since if I wear it more than once I get a severe skin irritation. I really would love to have a nice alligator or leather band but thy also give me some discomfort. I thought I detested power reserves, but realized that I only didn't like the "swoosh" styles. Not a fan of bling either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.