WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of you have seen this listing for a supposedly NOS 100th Anniv. 214 on The Bay. "Buy It Now" price is a little salty! Interesting. :w00t:

Item #290713681784

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One can always dream.
Yeah. That seller is always high on his prices. Others have been listing those in that condition for a little north of $1K = still a LOT of money! You also have to watch that it is what he says it is.

I did ask him if he would make a tracing of that original band so I have a pattern to have one made for my "well used" version of that watch. He agreed.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disagree, IMO that is one of the most iconic watches ever produced and personally I think is really nice...
Perhaps I need to rephrase my response. I do think they are special and they seem to have generated more interest among us collectors than they did at their original offering. They are a big, bulky watch and heavy watch without the elegance seen in other designs. I have a 214 version and a 230 version. I do like the 214 for what it is but the 230 version, being smaller in case size, is a little better looking overall.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder :T

beergoggles.jpg

Perhaps I need to rephrase my response. I do think they are special and they seem to have generated more interest among us collectors than they did at their original offering. They are a big, bulky watch and heavy watch without the elegance seen in other designs. I have a 214 version and a 230 version. I do like the 214 for what it is but the 230 version, being smaller in case size, is a little better looking overall.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I did ask him if he would make a tracing of that original band so I have a pattern to have one made for my "well used" version of that watch. He agreed.
Hi Oliver,

Did he come good on that tracing ? I bought a lovely brown Accutron strap with an Accutron deployment buckle, made a fantastic improvement IMO, a touch of vintage with modern elegance. I think it worked rather well.

Jake

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Oliver,

Did he come good on that tracing ? I bought a lovely brown Accutron strap with an Accutron deployment buckle, made a fantastic improvement IMO, a touch of vintage with modern elegance. I think it worked rather well.

Jake
Jake,
Yes he did. It is a little rough but provides a decent pattern for a duplicate of original shape and taper. Now, all I have to do is get the $ together to have one made! :lol: I have put that project on the back burner for now since I am still spending $ on more Bulova watches and since I notched the NOS 22 mm Corfam band I picked up cheap. The Corfam band actually looks pretty good for now, even if it is 1 mm narrower on each side. I need a new repro crystal for my 100th Anniv. watch so will probably spend the $ on that first.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Jake,
Yes he did. It is a little rough but provides a decent pattern for a duplicate of original shape and taper. Now, all I have to do is get the $ together to have one made! :lol: I have put that project on the back burner for now since I am still spending $ on more Bulova watches and since I notched the NOS 22 mm Corfam band I picked up cheap. The Corfam band actually looks pretty good for now, even if it is 1 mm narrower on each side. I need a new repro crystal for my 100th Anniv. watch so will probably spend the $ on that first.
Nice one, I'd love to see the before and after pictures. So don't be shy :T
My watch has gone across for a service so once it's back I'll post some pictures of the strap and the deployment buckle. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice one, I'd love to see the before and after pictures. So don't be shy :T
My watch has gone across for a service so once it's back I'll post some pictures of the strap and the deployment buckle. :thumbup:
Not certain if I have already posted pics of the watch & band but will check and post/re-post them here. I you want a copy of his tracing, let me know. Mine runs fine. That's about the only thing really good or correct about it but al least I have an example and one I could afford at the outset.

BTw, I notice he hasn't sold the watch. Wonder why?! :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
650 Posts
I notice he hasn't sold the watch. Wonder why?! :eek:hmy:
I did have a look at the Auction, nice watch but I wasn't too sure about the box. It looked more like a quartz box. I might be wrong. I'm lucky as my watch comes with the coin and 3 booklets, warranty etc. although I had to by a box. So my watch is pretty much complete.

Your watch looks super! I simply cannot get away from the unique styling of the Anniversary.

I'd certainly take you up on the offer of the tracing :thumbup:

Regards

Jake

1 - 15 of 15 Posts