WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I spent a little time winding my automatics today a thought came into my head as I got to this one.

This was my first "expensive" watch and I paid 105.00 for it in 1975.
I was always fixated on watches and owned 3 Timexes as an early teen and I was very impressed by my Dads Acccutron "Spaceview" (I'm sure that was step # 1 in my WIS developement)
Anyways-jump to present time-and I started to wonder about my watch obsession.
This Zodiac Seawolf may well be the only watch that ,no matter what, I will never part with due to its history-every scratch,dent,ding,and other signs of age and abuse tells a story.
The struggle to paint the insides of kitchen cabinets,the jostling around in the compartment of a golf bag along with the extra balls and tees over 18 holes ,or being stuffed into the toe of a sneaker at the beach so that it would be safe from thieving beach marauders.
This watch was there for all of that and more for over 20 years!
It has been overhauled only once and could use a new dial and a refinished case , but that ain't gonna happen because if it does then the stories go out the window. ( it still is at + 7 secs/day)
I guess my point here is that I keep buying watches but I never give many (or any) enough time to tell stories of their own.
Perfect and unblemished watches are beautiful things to look at but there are plenty of them at AD's and on line to look at.
I feel that a watch should be a reflection of myself (since I like them so much)and I would really like to be able to identify more with the watches that I wear.
So I think I may very well "thin the herd" and establish a relationship or two and stop worrying about dings and dents.
There are plenty of perfect watches to view at the dealers.
But they can't tell you anything!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
How sentimental.....How much for the Speedway Reserve ?:D

Most of my watches get a couple of hours a month. It does seem like a waste to not get to know these creatures better.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How sentimental.....How much for the Speedway Reserve ?:D
Maybe I'll see if it can stand up under real life conditions.
Methinks I'll wear it for a few snow shoveling an work tours to see if it is, indeed, a watch worthy of time and stories!
Like this Hamilton ,which also has and shows "real life" experience.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
I love my wearing my watches that means whatever watch I wearing to work might still be on when I cut the grass, shovel snow, ride my cycle, or go to the gym. A watch was made to be worn on to be babied.:scared:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I actually bought a watch recently that cost more than my usual under 300 dollar watches, now as it turned out it was defective which gave me a ligitimate reason to send it back, but I would have anyway because I realized that I would not wear it just because I wanted too, no it would have to be for occaisons when I could be pretty certain it would come to no harm. This somehow took all of the pleasure out of it. Watches should be worn and not stored for fear of a scratch, JMHO.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Maybe I'll see if it can stand up under real life conditions.
Methinks I'll wear it for a few snow shoveling an work tours to see if it is, indeed, a watch worthy of time and stories!
Like this Hamilton ,which also has and shows "real life" experience.

Nice to see a Hamilton living the "good life".

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Great Story foghorn, and I more than understand.
This one is the one that is priceless, or at least to me it is. As I have shared the story here a few times I will shorten it to just this.
It belonged to my grandfather and now it belongs to me.:001_wub:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts