WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nice one for only $520 ended...........I missed it, I was planing on bidding..........what model was it? $520 seemed like a low price?? Only one serious bidder/collector got it for his collection. Looked mint with the original dial as well.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Nice one for only $520 ended...........I missed it, I was planing on bidding..........what model was it? $520 seemed like a low price?? Only one serious bidder/collector got it for his collection. Looked mint with the original dial as well.
I watched it all week... but I never got around to figuring out what moded it is. BUT, since it will soon be in the best Hamilton collection in the world, I presume that I made a mistake not confirming what I missed. :crying: It will be keeping company with the nice 18K (Tiffany Hamilton Barrel was it?) that you sold the same collector.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I looked it up in the book but could not tell for sure what model it was? Might be a Lowell or a Cameron? Also the arched Tiffany name on the logo was different from others printed straight across. I purchased a Gillman once with the same arched printed Tiffany name on it. Wish I still had that 18K one.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I looked it up in the book but could not tell for sure what model it was? Might be a Lowell or a Cameron? Also the arched Tiffany name on the logo was different from others printed straight across. I purchased a Gillman once with the same arched printed Tiffany name on it. Wish I still had that 18K one.
While I can't afford to own them all, I have never missed a watch I didn't sell/trade... ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have no interest in all of them like some collectors.........There are only about 10 made in 14k and 18k and platinum that I would wear. And I have most of those. I like to wear them not just collect them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A Lowell was my first guess. So it was easily a 2-3K watch? Maybe 4-5K being that only 18 were made? Why no one else bid on it? I missed it by seconds, was doing something else when it ended. My loss for sure.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
How many Gilmans Made for Tiffany with the arched name on the dial? Bryn, do you know? I have one. Was the dial on this Lowell original? Sure looked perfect and very white in the photos.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
A Lowell was my first guess. So it was easily a 2-3K watch? Maybe 4-5K being that only 18 were made? Why no one else bid on it? I missed it by seconds, was doing something else when it ended. My loss for sure.
I watched it all week, but, frankly, it just didn't excite me enough too look too hard for the info on what it was for sure. Since I never buy stuff to re-sell and I also want to wear my watches, if it had been a 401 or 979 movement I would likely have been far more interested. That said, I have bid enough against the winner to know that most likely unless it was something that I REALLY wanted, I would likely have lost anyway. :crying:

·
Registered
123 Posts
How many Gilmans Made for Tiffany with the arched name on the dial? Bryn, do you know? I have one. Was the dial on this Lowell original? Sure looked perfect and very white in the photos.
I don't have any numbers for the Tiffany Gilman, but my 982 records are incomplete.

The Lowell dial has inalid enamel tracks, so it will look crisp even if redone. I think the dial on the auction watch had been redone.

I think these 982 Tiffany watches would bring higher prices from collectors if we had complete production records for them like we do for the 979 and 401 examples.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tiffany & Co. Arched printing or straight across? Were the original dials printed both ways? Others in 18K always seem to be printed straight across.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Since neither the movement nor the case are marked for Tiffany, what is to stop someone from refinishing the dial to become "1 of 18"? Unless all of the watches sold to Tiffany were in a tight block of movement and or case serial numbers one might never know. Do these movement and/or case numbers correspond to the 1935 period?

I suspect that this type of uncertainty might explain why a rare private-label might not bring the expected premium above the regular production.

(By the way, that back sure looks like it may have had an inscription or monogram sanded away. Shouldn't there be a casemaker mark on the back, too?)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It has a balance bridge from a 982M movement as well (gold lettering).

·
Registered
554 Posts
also, the seller has less than stellar feedback. perhaps it would have gone for more had there been less evidence of difficult transactions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts