WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I got my M52 late yesterday and it is an awesome looking watch!! So, glad I bought my first Lumtec and for me a Tungsten is the way to go. Even got the bracelet sized yesterday. Thank you Chris and Bes for having the bracelet already installed and giving me the number out of 150 I was looking for!! A1 customer service!!

I gave my father my old Tag watch and I can assure you he was hoping I wanted to keep my old tag and give me the Lumtec.

I have a few beginner questions on the movement:
1) I manually wound the watch and i can hear the clicking which to me sounds like it is winding perfectly but is there a point when the watch is "fully wound" or can you keep on winding forever? Just seems like I was winding it for a while and it kept on letting me continue.
2) The hacking feature - I was under the assumption that when you changed the time the second hand reset to zero but mine does not. The second hand does not move. Not a huge issue as I just waited for the world clock I was using to have the seconds align with where my second hand had stopped before having the clock continue. This is more a curiosity question as I am not overly concerned. Just want to make sure the watch is operating as it should.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hacking just means the second hand stops when the crown is pulled out all the way. As 7Schulz said, to get the second hand to stop at 12 you have to wait until the second hand is at 12 and then pull out the crown. The movement has a safety feature to prevent over-winding, but 40 to 45 turns should be enough to fully wind the watch. I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Congratulations on the new timepiece! Your new watch is an automatic movement. As such, it's mechanism is designed to prevent over-winding and you'll not ever feel a "stop". In general, a full wind would be 30-40 turns, after which the movement of your arm will keep the rotor moving enough to keep the watch fully wound.

As to the hack... Pulling the crown out fully will stop the second hand in it's tracks. It will not cause it to return to zero.

Sounds like your new treasure is working exactly as designed. Relax and enjoy your new wrist companion my friend!

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are some watches that have a second hands setting mechanism where you pull the crown out and the second hand goes to 12 automatically. Seiko has that in some of their vintage railroad pocketwatches. That is different than hacking. it's a very unusual feature rarely found in a typical wristwatch.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
^It's a feature which I wish was present in wrist watches because it's always hard to judge the placement of the minute hand when the second hand at anything other than 12o'clock position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the information and the quick reply! The least I could do is post a few pictures especially with the new engraving on the rotor but to say I have a grainy camera is being kind. I am in the process of buying a new one. By the time I get a new camera I am sure someone will have posted pictures of the caseback.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I always assumed that when I would a watch I would feel more tension as it got closer to full wind but none of Lumtecs do. Although the Swiss movement M24 will spin backwards really fast if you're put too much tension on it. You actually wind up with less reserve when that happens.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Just a reminder to not change the date with the crown pulled out to first click while the watch is between 10pm to 2am as this can damage the date function.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The mechanism that changes the date is partially (or fully) engaged at those times. Adjusting the date then is like shift gears without using the clutch... at best it's not good for the watch, at worst it may break something.

If in doubt, simply adjust the time forward with the crown to get outside of the "no-no" range and then set the date as needed. To the best of my knowledge, this applies to most all brands, including Sii and Miyota.

Reactions: Luminated
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.