WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here obviously and have recently dug out 2 old watches with the thought of having them restored to their former luster and back in working wearable order. I have taken them to a watchmaker who quoted me $350.00 for the Hamilton and $400.00 for the Illinois. From what I have gathered reading on this forum that is pretty standard for a restoration. He says he would replace the crystal in the Hamilton and he needs to make a new stem for the Illinois.
My question to you is , is it worth the money for these time pieces? I just don't know. They have sentimental value to me and I love the vintage look of both of them. I appreciate your feedback and any insight as to the models or years these watches were made. The Illinois could be 1920's and the Hamilton 1940's??
I'm attaching a photo. Hopefully the first time is a charm!
Thanks
Watch Analog watch White Light Product

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neither are running however he did say the movement in both were in very good condition. No rust or broken parts he could see. Would that 100.00 service include cleaning the dials and polishing up the numbers and cases?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
get him to quote the service provided for the money. It should break down exactly what he's proposing to do for all that money.

replacing/refinishing the dials may be included in that money. but as hamiltonillinois said that's an awful lot of money for a simple COA.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Ah Yes...
The age old question... What is this watch and how much is it worth?

This brings up a a very good point for new collectors and vets alike.

The good news is you came to a forum and asked FIRST!

When getting into collecting, the primary thing you have to find out is what is the value of the piece
to see if it makes sense in the long run to get this up to speed.

A newbie will get a watch and spend much more than the overall value to bring it up to speed
(we have all done this and regretted it later)

The FIRST thing you have to do is find out the watch details and take it from there.
Sean and Rick can help with the Hamilton.

As with the Illinois, this is a generic Illinois and not a very valuable piece.

As in the case of a family heirloom, the value can be priceless and you may spend more
to get a watch up to speed.

Back to value:
In collecting old watches, it is VERY important to find a trusted watchmaker who will fix these
old treasures for a reasonable amount of money without breaking the bank.

You can PM some of us for suggestions and we can give some trusted folks.
As Rick has hinted, your watchmaker has quoted you some pretty high prices to fix these and
the final price will exceed the final value of the piece itself.

Get yourself a breakdown of what is needed from this guy and come back and
let us know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you VERY much RJ007. That was exactly what I was looking for. And thank you for the confirm on the Illinois. After doing a bit of research, that is the conclusion I was coming to. That coupled by the fact that my grandfather was not a rich man :) It does have sentimental value and if the price is right would love to be able to have it repaired and wear it. Same with the Hamilton but for a total of 750.00 I could buy myself something very nice.
I emailed the watchmaker this morning and asked him for a breakdown. I will post it here when he answers me back. A few good recommendations on the East coast for repair will be appreciated. This guy is local and gets a lot of referrals from Jewelers however he probably saw me coming if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Thank you VERY much RJ007. That was exactly what I was looking for. And thank you for the confirm on the Illinois. After doing a bit of research, that is the conclusion I was coming to. That coupled by the fact that my grandfather was not a rich man :) It does have sentimental value and if the price is right would love to be able to have it repaired and wear it. Same with the Hamilton but for a total of 750.00 I could buy myself something very nice.
I emailed the watchmaker this morning and asked him for a breakdown. I will post it here when he answers me back. A few good recommendations on the East coast for repair will be appreciated. This guy is local and gets a lot of referrals from Jewelers however he probably saw me coming if you know what I mean.
Super...
There are some very good watch guys on the east coast that will do this
for a LOT less than that...
He saw you coming for sure!!
Check your Private Messages.
G

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I'm new here obviously and have recently dug out 2 old watches with the thought of having them restored to their former luster and back in working wearable order. I have taken them to a watchmaker who quoted me $350.00 for the Hamilton and $400.00 for the Illinois. From what I have gathered reading on this forum that is pretty standard for a restoration. He says he would replace the crystal in the Hamilton and he needs to make a new stem for the Illinois.
My question to you is , is it worth the money for these time pieces? I just don't know. They have sentimental value to me and I love the vintage look of both of them. I appreciate your feedback and any insight as to the models or years these watches were made. The Illinois could be 1920's and the Hamilton 1940's??
I'm attaching a photo. Hopefully the first time is a charm!
Thanks
View attachment 33620
The quotes may not be so to off base it all depends on what you told him what you wanted done the watches. When you told him to cleanup the dials did the term "refinish the dials" come up? And also what exactly did you tell him you wanted the hands and dial markers to look like?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.