WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have decided to start collecting Russian watches from the 60s onwards..They appeal to me,and looking it at ebay theres quite a few in my price range, and quite a few out of my price range.I do not see a forum on this site for russian watches or am i mistaken.A few pointers would be helpful what to look for,best movements etc.I have read the stickys,thanks.
Anyone got any ebay sellers that they trust and sell russian watches.I have added a seller to my favourites who is in Arbekistan and seems to have a good selection and his feedback is 100%.Just need to do more homework now on what is and isnt a decent buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Yes i have been looking at the Poljot on ebay, and also watches advertised as for Army only, officer watches etc.I will post pics once i have bought my first one.Vostok, i will have a look at those too, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
140823855543 ebay

This watch is the kind of watch im looking to start my collection with, all depends on how much the watch sells for.I need to do more research on prices, is there a price guide or web site i could use for reference?

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
....There are a lot, a lot in fact made in Russia for the American market too....
Needless to say, those are the ones that say MADE IN RUSSIA at the bottom of the dial instead of сделано в ссср or сделано в руссиа

Don't forget to check the back of the case as well- that should also be totally in the Cyrillic alphabet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Russian watches

Thankyou for your replys and advice.Valtyr that watch is beautiful.Lot of watch for the money.I will save that in my watching for future reference.

Comethunter, thankyou for taking the time to help.So the watches with made in Russia on the face are made for over seas market.Will they have english on the casing as well?
The watches made for the Russian market will have the cyrillic writing on the face and case?
Newby questions just trying to get it clear in my mind.

I decided on Russian watches because i like the simplicity of the designs, they seem readily available, some are in my price range, so seemed like a good place to start and learn.I will be buying some tools to be able to adjust straps,remove the backs and have a look and investigate the movements etc.Total beginer so it wouldnt be a massive mistake if i damaged one of the watches.

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
...Comethunter,...So the watches with made in Russia on the face are made for over seas market.
Yes

Will they have english on the casing as well?
Not always. I've had a couple Amfibias (low quality entry-level automatic movement watches that were being sold for $40 NIB) where the dial was in English and the caseback was in Russian!

The watches made for the Russian market will have the cyrillic writing on the face and case?
Yes.

Newby questions just trying to get it clear in my mind.
No problem- this is how we learn. Thank you for caring enough to take the time to ask!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an older USSR made Арктика that I love. It's not fabulous, it's not pretty, but it's certainly cool, a conversation piece, keeps good time, and is fun to wear. It was made to commemorate a Russian Arctic Expedition, and it's got a 24-hour face, manual wind, and some other stuff which is really neat to me. I think I paid about 900 rubles for it when I was in Moscow. Clearly not expensive (depending on which decade you're doing the currency conversion!).

I've also got an Авиатор that was around €200. It's also nothing special, and a little heavy for my small hand, wrist, and cuff, but I like it, it's a cool watch. I liked it more before I saw it in a duty-free inflight magazine on the way home from Warsaw.

In Moscow it's pretty easy to find some new old stock from some of the Russian watch companies that went out of business. I used to know a guy who had hundreds of real watches from the old Первый Московский Часовой Завод (First Moscow Watch Factory), original new old stock. Of course you have to be careful who you're dealing with, but if you know the right people you can get some pretty inexpensive but cool watches.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. To all, cool or interesting doesn't necessarily mean expensive or best movement...a little historical value or unique interest goes a long way to some!

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Super Moderator
17,202 Posts
TTraveler- that's definitely a cool-looking piece. Thanks for showing it to us! :thumbup1:

We've said it here more often than I can remember: simply because you like it is a GREAT reason to buy a given watch. I've got about a dozen watches that'll never be worth anything, but gosh darn it all, I like the way they look!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.