WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying my first Rolex. Frankly I'd like something with water resistance of at least 300 meters and perhaps 1K. I'm looking for a good deal as well. Is there any hope? Any constructive recommendations will be appreciated. If this is the incorrect place to post the questions let me know and I'll post elsewhere.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
If you want 300m or more the only choice for a new from store model will be the Submariner (300m) or the DeepSea (3,900m). All others will be 100m or less. If you want to expand your options to preowned, then the SeaDweller (1,200m) is another option. As someone who's owned all three models, the SeaDweller would be the one I'd go for. The Submariner would be 2nd and the DeepSea 3rd. I love the size & look of the DeepSea, but absolutely hated the domed crystal and the fact the bracelet is 22mm at the lugs and then tapers down to a measly 18mm at the clasp..

As to 'deals', new from an AD? Very few & far between, especially on these models. Maybe 10-15% off list (maybe, not guaranteed anymore) unless you've got a stellar relationship with an AD. If you're willing to look at preowned, then deals can be found. BUT, you need to do your homework, know what you're looking for and at and be able to separate wheat from chaff as there's lots of bad deals (as well as scams) out there. But with some due diligence and common sense (ex. if it looks too good of a deal it probably is) you can get fair deals on preowned models.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All good advise that. Are you in the US?
US, yes, North of Boston MA on a barrier island. Thanks.

Scott D, thanks for the advice. I pretty much had honed in on the Sea Dweller as the one I should be after but I'm not really familiar with the Rolex line and particularly their offerings through the years. Seems like the Sea Dwellers in the used market are going for less than Subs which I assume is due to lack of name recognition.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
You're probably somewhat right. The SeaDweller's have been the 'under the radar' Submariner, which is another reason I love it. They originally sold for about $500 more than the Subs, so being able to get them for less than a Sub is a 'bargain' IMO. And if you want a robust, do anything daily beater (if you can call a $4500+ watch a beater) there's few watches (in the 'luxury' class) that are better for the money yet still maintaining their value. And I for one really like the no-cyclops look of it. It doesn't scream "Rolex" when you wear it.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
The Seamaster is a great watch. I've owned both the 45mm Planet Ocean and the 'traditional' 42mm "Bond" Seamaster. Objectively they're just as good as the Rolex's. There's a million reviews out there comparing the two, and it's probably 50-50 to each one. You'll see a lot of brand-bias in many of the reviews to IMO. If you buy new you'll tend to have better resale on Rolex, but if you buy preowned it's probably going to be a wash after the same period of time.

But bottom line they're similar silly arguments similar to "which is better, Ferrari or Lamborghini?". They're both great!! Me personally? Out of all of them I prefer the SeaDweller. But that's my personal preference after owning all of them. But in the end, any one of them, Omega or Rolex, is a dam fine choice and if YOU like it you simply cannot go wrong with the decision regardless of whether it's Omega or Rolex.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I've owned the exact same one. It's a great watch, I simply sold mine when I cleared out my divers (had way too many), but I'm sure you'll love it. As I said, you simply can't go wrong with either.

Congrats & do be sure to post pictures and thoughts in the Omega forum once it arrives! :thumbup1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.