WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New to the forum. Kind of stuck with a dilemma. Though I have a feeling I'll get some biased advice here :T

I've always been a huge RADO fan. Bought my first Diastar automatic when I was 18 and it has been on my wrist ever since. The problem is that I'd like to move to a chrono and I love the tungsten scrathproof-ness of the RADO chrono options.

The hard thing is that I didn't realize how fond I was of auto movement until I really started looking at some options out there and playing with my old man's Rolex and Omega. I looked at a nice in house branded auto chrono with the 7750 movement and was pretty impressed. Then I had to really confuse things by stumbling across the Invicta line. My price range is $1200ish and I really like the Subaqua Noma Reserve. So now I'm stuck between my 10 year love of RADO, with a complete scratch proof tungsten band, or a pretty sweet Invicta.

Right now I'm starting to lean towards the Invicta to:
A - Diversify my collection.
B - Stay true to my 'auto lust'
C - Try a new style I've previously haven't been big on (IE: big 'ol bezels)

The RADO has been a great watch that I can hit the lake with, go camping with, do a little automotive tinkering without worry, as well as look good when I do my job (Computers / IT Consulting). I'm never in a suit and tie, so I'm looking for 'classy sales flashy', not dressy. Do you think the Subaqua will fit my kind of lifestyle? From the research I've done it seems the 7750 movement should be up to a little banging around.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Shane

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Would you be so kind as to post a picture of that Rado?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The Sub Aqua is a great looking watch, but I wouldn't want to wear it while doing any automotive tinkering. It's too big and too pretty for that kind of work. I'm sure the Rado is much slimmer and you don't have to worry scratching it up. Now Invicta does have a tungsten and ceramic automatic, that I'd recommend, but it's not a chrono. It is under $500 though. There's mine as my avatar. It's a great watch.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Welcome stereoman405,
I will start by saying I am of course an Invicta collector. I do like some of the Rado models and they do have a unique look. There are several Sub owners that I am sure will post pics for you to look at and I know they would have no problems with you bending their ear. If it was me I would buy a Sub hands down.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am quite sure the Rado will hold up better. As it should hold up better than most other watches. Which is why it has the name that it does. =)

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Welcome stereoman to the Original Invicta Forum. IMHO, the SAIII is a grail watch for Invicta fans but because of its size and bulk, not the kind of watch to wear doing the activities you list.

·
Banned
927 Posts
The SAIII is a HUGE watch. I finally saw one in person a few months back and could not believe how big it was, not only in diameter but in thickness. I liked the look though.

·
Banned
2,453 Posts
Hey Stereoman,welcome to the original Invicta forum.The Reserve Subaqua noma is a tank of a watch,it will hold up to your activities as you discribed,but it is a work of art that I would'nt want to scratch up too much.You could keep your old Rado as a beater, for tinkering and such,I'd certainly wear my SAN swimming and camping,it is a 500m dive watch.Here are some pics of mine:

·
Banned
2,453 Posts
Very nice shots Larry, what kind of camera do you use? I am in the market for a new one.
Hello Don,I'm glad you like the shots ,thanks,I need to practice a lot more though.The camara I use is the Canon Power Shot A640 with 10 mega pixels,it's easy to use.:wink:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It sure seems as though Canon has a following from the posts I have read. I have one I use for work and it's only a 3.2 MP but the shots it takes are substantially better than my 6 MP Olympus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of that Rado?
It's in getting cleaned right now, but I'd be happy to when I get it back next week. Essentially it's this guy right here though.

Clicky

Thanks for the rest of the input guys. I'm having a hard time visualizing how big this sucker will look on my wrist. I think I'll start a new thread asking for some wrist shots. The biggest I've tried on was a 40mm that was maybe 15mm thick. This is substantially bigger.

This is the one I'm looking at:
Linky

BTW Triton - LOVE the pics. I'd grab one of those in a blink if I could find it for the same price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... Now Invicta does have a tungsten and ceramic automatic, that I'd recommend, but it's not a chrono. It is under $500 though. There's mine as my avatar. It's a great watch.
You happen to have any pics of it? You kind of have me intrigued now.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,453 Posts
Hey stereoman405,I've seen that watch with the brown dial and I have the Reserve Pro Diver with the brown dial.Let me tell you, it is just stunning,it has the sun ray effect,so it changes from brown to black.At the price you showed,I'd snag it.They are very comfortable for the size and the bracelet is the nicest I've seen.There is nothing not to like about this beauty.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Here is a wrist shot for you of a similiar watch. I'm not sure whether you are looking at the SAIII or the SA reserve. They are different diameters. The SAIII is 50mm minus crown and 20mm thick. The reserve is basically the SAI with the SAII bracelet upped to a 46mm/47mm. This photo is an SAII. Not the same, but close for a wrist shot. 47mm 53mm with crown guard. This is also 20mm thick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone! Just pulled the trigger!

My wife pointed out to me that the time I've spent agonizing over which watch to get I could've been billing out my time actually doing work and could've bought both of them by now... :sad:

I figured it's worth the cost of return shipping to at least try it out. I have a feeling my Rado will never be able to look me in the eye again.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This Guy

Subaqua Noma Reserve, chocolate face. I was a little leary on the Ebay purchase, but after some good correspondence and warranty assurance, I decided it was worth saving the extra $75. Also the one on world of watches didn't have the white ring around the chrono dials, which I liked for better viability. Was there actually two different lines of these, or just lighting playing tricks??

WoW - No white border

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well congrats. I would've advised the Invicta, anyway. Rados are so common...lol
Are they pretty common in the collecting circuit? I'm new to this, but I've only seen maybe 4-6 other people wearing Rado's around here. Three of which are good friends of mine. I've always liked them because of their practical / obscure nature.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts