WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a very new member so please be gentle with me. I have a variety of 13 watches; most purchased used from ebay. My favourite brand is Raymond Weil of which I have 4 gold plated. Over time thaey become dull and tarnished. I have read on this forum that Cape cod will probably remove the gold plate so I am looking at different cleaning/polishing cloths. Some contain jewellers rouge, other cloths contain mild abrasives and others chemical cleaners. Which type would you guys recommend as being the least abrasive yet giving first class finish. Apologies if this question is really stupid !!!! Thanks Jack.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Hello jack, and welcome to WTF

Least abrasive with a 1st. class finish, I would still say Cape Cod cloths! You don't have to rub very hard at all for them to work. This is from my own personal experience, BTW. I have over 2 dozen gold-plated watches, many polished more than once. NOT ONCE HAVE I EVER removed the plating with a polishing cloth. I imagine if I affixed one to a an electric hand tool such as a DREMEL the high RPMs would accomplish this, but not by my hand. CC cloths also leave behind a thin residue which helps retard the re-tarnishing of the metal.

Ferric oxide compounds (otherwise known as jewelers rouge) will probably give a superior shine, but because of how they are applied, I believe them to be more abrasive than CC cloths, not less.

I really urge you to see for yourself, however. You can get a single 2-cloth pack from Crown & Buckle (one of our sponsors, and the same price as on the Bay!!!) and test them for yourself, maybe on something other than a watch. Then you'll know for yourself just how good they are!

Your question ain't stupid, my friend. This is how we learn. Not one member here, the famous ones or the regular-Joes like myself, was born with this info.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Chances are you will get some different answers and tips that different members have come up with. Cape Cod cloths are really good but you have to use them very gently on plated watches because they will gradually wear the plate off, on cases that are white gold plated or solid the cloths will tarnish the metal so do use them on white gold.

When I first started collecting I just cleaned my watches with paper towels but one day the wife came home with some new micro fibre cloths and I tried one and had great results. Over time I have gradually added to my cleaning arsenal, a polishing kit with an attachment to connect the padded wheels to my drill and 3 different grades of polishing rouge. I find these are great but I only use them on stainless steel cases and would never use them on any plated watch. I have a bunch of cotton buds/swabs and toothpicks which I find excellent for getting into the smaller areas, also a toothbrush for cleaning metal bracelets.

Polywatch is good for removing scratches from watch crystals but I find autosol metal polish is much cheaper and does the same job, also autosol comes in a much larger tube. I took a quick snap of my cleaning bits 'n pieces. The polishing wheels are also great for bringing back an old watch crystal.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Hi Rich- never heard of Autosol before...where do I find some?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi Rich- never heard of Autosol before...where do I find some?

I purchased mine in a local motor accessories store but it is available on the swamp, they also make a version which is suitable for precious metals. If used gently the dirt it can remove from a watch is is amazing, if I get a grubby watch I just use a little on a cotton bud and wipe it on the case and the wipe it off initially with paper towel and then a final polish with a micro fibre cloth. In total maybe I spent 20 euro on everything but the end results are awesome, scroll down my post and see the before pic.

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/japanese-asian-watch-forum/56618.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Whoadang- what a transformation!
I'm gonna have to try some of that! Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cleaning polishing

Hi Guys, thank you all for your very warm welcome and for the invaluable info. In the uk the product is called Solvo Autosol and has been around since I was a kid. It`s main purpose is as a chrome cleaner and I remember using it on my motorbikes. It`s a white paste and works well although it is quite abrasive. Thanks again Jack.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
... It`s a white paste and works well although it is quite abrasive. Thanks again Jack.
Ouch! Hmmm...maybe I'll just see if I can find a small tube of it. It actually sounds like something over here I'm already
using: Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. A little goes a long way, so it, too, is rather abrasive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cleaning/polishing

Hi Comet Hunter. I think the products you refer to are liquid whereas Autosol is a paste. May I suggest you look on Ebay.com under "Solvo Autosol chrome cleaner" its advertised for $9.27. Good hunting Jack

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The name "autosol" is rather misleading and sort of implies that the product is only for auto industry, but as a brand autosol make a whole range of products some of which are for precious metals.

I initially found autosol whilst looking for Meguiars Plastx which is not available for sale in Ireland, the headlights on my car were dull and Plastx is recommended for restoring them. As usual most of these products have various uses and I found a lot of recommendations on the web suggesting that either Plastx or autosol can be used on watch crystals.

Whilst on holidays in Barbados last year I saw an advert for Plastx on sale and purchased 2 bottles, the guy in the shop could not understand why I was shopping for it on holidays instead of lying on a beach in the sun and then it was even more fun trying to explain it to customs in Dublin when I returned :001_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
Hi Comet Hunter. I think the products you refer to are liquid whereas Autosol is a paste. May I suggest you look on Ebay.com under "Solvo Autosol chrome cleaner" its advertised for $9.27. Good hunting Jack
Actually, the Mothers I am using is a paste...comes in a jar about 6 cm tall. I'll shop for the Autosol with my next ebaybucks coupon!

Hi Comet Hunter, there is a lot of info on Autosol on "Google" Jack
Thanks...I'll go look as soon as I finish this cold pizza and bottle of Baltika #6

...Whilst on holidays in Barbados last year...the guy in the shop could not understand why I was shopping for it on holidays instead of lying on a beach in the sun...:
If I were the shopowner, I would have assumed you were buying it for your dune buggy! :lol: And I would have used that story for the customs agent. I mean, heck...has HE ever been to Barbados???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts