WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Just joined this site, in part because of this dedicated Bulova/Accutron forum. I recently picked up this 1971 (N1) Accutron AO off eBay...

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

...with 2182 movement. Yes, this is a pretty 'wild' looking case style, but somehow it seems right for its time frame. It also has a (apparently unusual for Accutrons) 22mm spacing between the hidden lugs. I have removed that band that came with it; apparently a 'lizard' or 'alligator' grain leather band was more typical with this particular style. I intend to put a reddish-brown 22mm leather strap on it once it is serviceable.
...It was not running when I got it, for good reason...turns out the index finger and index wheel were both bent (!!). I have two other movements (another 2182 and a 218D) that I got as 'donor' movements. The other 2182 actually will run (needs a tap to get it started), but apparently it had been 'cannibalized' somewhere along the line because the day disc and some of its associated parts are missing. The original movement has all the day and date parts and they work when set/advanced manually, so it looks like the original movement will wind up being the actual 'donor' as I can transplant the day and date parts onto the replacement movement. I have a pdf of the 218 series repair manual to help me with this...
...Now for my questions. First, this watch has a flat mineral crystal. (I've seen Swiss-made variants of this style with 'Safirglas' crystals, but I don't think this is one of them.) The crystal has a lot of wear marks and scratches. Is it possible to buff it out or would it better to outright replace it? And what would the correct replacement crystal be? Second, when I went to remove the second hand (part 140), it separated from its mounting tube (and naturally, I lost the tube). Is this triangular-shaped hand what Bulova called a 'cone' second hand (I've seen envelopes containing second hands marked 'stick', 'cone', and 'pylon', but I haven't seen them outside their envelopes, so I don't know what the 'cone' and 'pylon' actually look like)? It's a silver-colored hand that was painted sort of a maroon color to fit the overall dial color scheme, and it measures approximately 2.5mm in back and 10.5 mm in front of the tube (would that correspond to a '25/105' size marking on an original Bulova package?). If I can get the correct type of replacement hand, it would be a simple (?) matter of painting it a similar color...
...I grew up in the 60s and 70s, when the Accutron represented the 'ultimate' in timekeeping, and I remember dreaming of someday having one (of course, that was before quartz came along and blew everything out of the water). I would really love to get this one straightened out...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You are really not being ignored, I just don't know the answers. Many of us , including me, have quite a few Accutrons but don't work on them at all. I like to work on things that I can hit with a hammer but the tiny pieces of a watch drive me crazy.
It looks like you got a nice looking watch there. As to the crystal, I do know that they can be buffed quite successfully if the scratches aren't deep. I have a Deep Sea 666 that was pretty thoroughly scratched and all but about two of the scratches buffed out.
I have also seen the envelopes with the various descriptions of hands but I don't know what they mean. Big Help HUh ??
I also grew up when the Accutron was the ultimate in time keeping. Mine made me a time snob, I was the one in the duck blind who knew exactly when shooting time started.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...oh, I never thought I was being 'ignored', nor did I expect an immediate answer. I understand quite well that you sometimes have to wait a while for replies to a post on boards like this, and that not everyone who replies is going to be an 'expert'. I've tried to do some 'homework' of my own (numerous Google searches, perusing other eBay auctions, etc.) and garnered various bits of information as a result (such as the 'AO' designation for this particular case style, which was found on a period print ad). So I'm not jumping into this completely blind...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...no problem; I didn't think anyone was insulting me :001_smile: . So many think the 'anonymity' of the Internet is a blessing...but it can also be a curse. This is a prime example; that 'anonymity' takes away the important subtleties of actual person-to-person interaction, such as tone of voice, etc...if my response gave the impression that I felt I had been insulted, then I most sincerely apologize! :blushing: ...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
In addition to the model "AO," there were several others with the same gold asymmetric case. The "AW " and "AF" are just two that come to mind. I am not certain about the subtle differences between the models but I did notice that ads for the "AO" always show red printed day and date wheels.
One thing that is common to all is the lobster link bracelet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...yup...mine has red (more like maroon) day/date printing. Probably very difficult to find an original bracelet for one of these now...and I probably wouldn't be able to afford it if I did :cursing: . I'm not familiar with the tern 'lobster link' :confused1: , so I wouldn't know one if I saw one...

·
Registered
254 Posts
The cone second hand is I believe the triangle. However, make sure you get one for a 218 as the 214 second hands have shorter posts (making it extremely easy to break the second hand pinion. ask me how I know). As far as "stick" and "pylon", I haven't a clue. Mine similar to that one came with a second hand with a rectangle on the broad side, but the side that pointed was plain and straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.