WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I am new to WTF and to Watch Collecting. Lately I have had an increased interest in watches. Right now watch brands that have been catching my eye are: Zenith, IWC, Hamilton, Baume Mercier, and Jaeger Lecoultre. (But...I know I've barely scratched the surface).

Unfortunately, my bank roll isn't that stacked so I'm on the hunt for a nice vintage or a great deal. I work in the IT field so I don't need anything crazy, but would like something classy, sleek, or mechanical looking...(no gold for me tho).

I'm looking forward to learning and reading about everyone's collected knowledge to help me with my new quest for the my first watch!

Any tips or stories about how you came to collect your most prized watch would be a fun read.

Thanks everyone.
:w00t:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Hi Kboporai1,

Welcome to our forum. Watches can be very fascinating and addictive. LOL! The best part is of course taking the time to research and find the one that speaks to you most. It will help if you share the budget for your next watch as you can score great deals at very diverse price points. Meanwhile, enjoy your time here.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
Hello, Kboparai1, and welcome!
We're glad you found us, and look forward to any questions you have or are going to have.

I found one of my best pieces purely by accident. I was at International Dial's site looking to have a Hamilton dial repaired. While there, I noticed they had a few for sale- items their customers never paid for, I guess. That's where I picked up my waffle-dial Longines...

Hmmm... I should take a new shot and get that minute hand away from the logo!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bullosa and CometHunter for the welcome,

CometHunter, that's an awesome first watch. I will be doing lots of research so as time goes I'll have lots of questions.

bullosa, my max price at the moment is a grand. I noticed Hamiltons fit my price range currently.

This is one Hamilton that I like in my price range.
- Hamilton Men's H38515555 Jazzmaster Silver Dial Watch

Thanks all

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hi K. You should look into stainless steel IWC watches from the 50's and 60's, particularly with the caliber 89. You should be able to find one close to your budget and they're the best brand of the ones you mention in that ballpark. The better the condition, the higher the price though so you have to figure out what amount of visible wear & tear you can live with. Most JLC watches, even in ss, will be out of your reach at $1000. Zenith is a good option too although the majority of their vintage watches were gold of some sort - plated, filled, capped, or solid.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The Hamilton Jazzmaster may be the greatest bang for the buck out there right now.

Might also want to look at Ball

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I checked out some IWC C89s and Balls.. they look pretty solid! I also checked out some of those vintage Zeniths. Diggin em.

I'm feeling the Hamilton.. I will try to find a local store to try it on and see how it looks.

Thanks again to all with your advice and input :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
welcome to the boards, if you like tool style watches, and or like something with more of a diver look, check out some used omegas and breitlings, you can get into them for pretty cheap, about what you are looking to spend, also too if you want a real bang for your buck watch, check out the tag heurer line. They are quartz, but really are great. The cool part about watch collecting is that you don't have to spend a ton, to get a ton. Also don't be afarid to check out Seiko, Invicta, citizen.

Also the pre owned market is really a great way to go, just remember to buy the seller, and the reputation, not the watch. I look forward to seeing what you decide to pick up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts