WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The start of the New Year has been pretty good so far. I've picked up 4 watches, two of which arrived in working order!

Here's a Lord Elgin 'Parkton', in Whit Gold with black dial, and the proper faceted crystal

The dial has been redone, with an error in the sub seconds dial. It should have numerals at 15, 30, and 45 and 60. Oh, well.

This angle shows the case a little better, but of course, with the black dial and the faceted crystal, this angle makes the dial invisible.

The movement is a 626, my first, and the final 21j 15/0 movement needed to complete the set.

Sadly, some clown thought he needed to make sure to put each cap jewel back in the same place, even though they're interchangeable, so he scratched across the setting onto the plate. Idiot! Vandal!

The next is an Elgin 19, the Alden

It's one of the 'Elgin 19' series that seems to have superceded the 'Elgin DeLuxe' series in the early 50s. As you can see, it's got a very 'flying saucer' look, with the hidden lugs. This is accentuated by the bottom of the case.

Now, with a case bottom like that, you might think the movement is tonneau-shaped. But you'd be wrong!

It's a 681, the 19j movement in the 8/0 680 series.

Two others came in, but they're in need of work, so you'll have to wait for them!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I have been busy, but at the moment there's nothing I'm planning to bid on, and nothing in the mail! My next step is to buy some more tools, but that's kind of a large step, given what I'm thinking of...

BTW, there's another error on the Parkton dial - the movement dates to 1949, 2 years after the introduction of the Durapower mainspring. It should have a 'dp' instead of a star. Still, it looks nice, so I'm not in any rush to correct it!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Nice Doug! I especially like that 'Alden'! One of these days I will luck out and get one of the 'saucer' shapes. It seems I always get scooped at the end or, the one I am watching goes for double what it should............

Being the conspiracy theorist I am, I wonder if the 'Parkton' dial might have come from an earlier model with similar features and became a marriage of convenience. That could explain the missing numerals and the star in place of the dp logo. Just a thought. It is a sharp watch regardless, I will wear it if you get tired of it..........:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure the Parkton is a redial - way too glossy to be original and 60 years old!

The 'dial blank' looks right - numerals at all but 3, 6, and 9, bars at 3 and 9, square sub seconds. It's the print that's wrong. The proper Parkton dial looks like this:

(This is one of the others that came in - seller's photo, but it's now my watch)

Note the numerals and markers are all the same, as is the inlet for the seconds dial. The black dial, though, has the minutes track crowding the numerals, the seconds track is all wrong, and it looks like there's overspray of paint around the upper part of the seconds dial.

BUT it's pretty, and it works, and it's my first and only 626, and I lots of other dials more in need of ID's services!

So, no, you can't have it! :001_tt2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts