WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I bought one of those cheapo multi-winders that you see on eBay for a dirt cheap price. It's nowhere near the quality of some winders I've seen; it's pretty cheaply made, but it also wasn't four figures.

I figured it would be a unidirectional winder and, at first, it was. It spun the watches for about 90 seconds. But, it then changed direction.

Cool, I thought.

It went back and forth for a few minutes, and then it stopped. It's stopped right now. I didn't notice how long it ran before it stopped.

When I first noticed that it had stopped, I figured my wonderful luck would dictate that I'd burned out one of the motors. So, I flipped the switch off, and flipped it back on.

It started turning again.

So, the jury's out. I'm not about to sit there and watch a winder that isn't moving, but I'll try to keep tabs on it. I think what I'll do is turn it on for an hour before I go to work in the morning, and then for an hour when I get home at night. Hopefully, I'll be able to determine A) if I have to turn it off at all and B) how long I should run it if I do have to turn it off...

·
Registered
788 Posts
They do have rest periods, I also have one of the cheap-o eBay winders... they wind a while then stop for 15-20 minutes then wind the other direction. I've had mine over a year and while it isn't looking too hot, it keeps them wound!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I turned the winder off before I went to bed last night. When I woke up, all of the watches were showing the correct time. I turned the winder back on, and it seems to spin one way for a bit, then switches direction, then rests. I'll turn it off before I go to work.

All I have to do now is find a place to put it. The thing is huge. It winds eight watches, and holds another twelve.

Hehehehehe... guess I've got some shopping to do...

:001_tongue:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, if it indeed takes rest periods, you can leave it on indefinately. No need to turn it off before work.
There was no instruction booklet with the winder, so I e-mailed the seller.

According to the seller, the winder rotates for 90 seconds in one direction, then 90 seconds in the other direction, then rests for 30 minutes. Looks like that's what it's been doin', too.

They also say there's no reason to turn it off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts