WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Watch Community,
I am nearing the launch of my own watch company called TAK. A Dutch word meaning to branch out which is what I feel my company does from traditional watch design and manufacture. I am an independent watchmaker in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and I have been working on 3D printed case designs for about 12 years. I found both aesthetic and conceptual interest in the combination of the innovative industrial process of 3D printing with the traditional fine horological trade. I wanted to share some images of my first design, “the Architect,” based on structural engineering designs. The cases are printed in stainless steel and machined in my workshop. The case houses a Sellita SW200 Swiss automatic movement and sapphire crystals on both dial side and view back(Images soon to come). I would appreciate any feedback from this community as I tweak the final case for production. Thank you!

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Grey

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

Watch Analog watch Clock Wrist Everyday carry

Watch Analog watch Azure Clock Watch accessory

·
Super Moderator
17,201 Posts
Seeking opinions is fine, but I would be remiss if I did not gently remind you that, since you are presenting yourself as a watch company, you may not actively or directly seek customers without first becoming an Official Forum Sponsor. For that, you may directly get in contact with VerticalScope, Inc.

·
Super Moderator
17,201 Posts
Yes...in my opinion,
(1) there's no call for the lower portion of the minute hand to extend past the center point of the dial.
(2) the lower half of the sweep second hand is un-necessary and could be confused by some (in low-light conditions) with the top half of the hand.
(3) speaking of poor light, you might give some thought to designing a dial with a higher contrasting visibility. I have retinopathy in one eye, and I DEFINITELY appreciate the way the snow-white hands show up on the black dials of my watches.
(4) the skeletonized watch strap lugs is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how practical that would be. By the end of a long hot summer, how much accumulated gunk and sweaty dead skin cells would build up inside those empty spaces?

Outside of those 3 points, I rather like this design, and am looking forward to further developments!
Are there any ideas about a chronograph design bouncing around in your head?
P.S. Stay away from "open heart" dials (the little opening that gives you a peek at the movement). In general, they just make the watch look cheap.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The name is not pleasant, nor the logo, Lancaster Watch Co. would be a nice name, the buttends of the hands are not attractive, the ridges on the case edge are already wearing grooves into the strap, they would be a place to accumilate dirt, same as the hollow lugs which look weaker. The hour hand immediately makes me think of another company, Omega, and doesn't match the minute hand. Sorry!!!!!!
The dial colour and minute markers are nice, seconds hand colour is nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts