WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am new to Lum-Tec. As a Naval Aviator and a Professional Airline Pilot I have a deep affinity for watches. I am very picky about my watches, but over the last few years I have adopted an increasingly open mind regarding watches I would never have considered before. I stumbled across the Lum-Tec while doing an internet search for a new watch that offers better night time visibility. I am getting older, afflicted with old guy disease (near vision sucks), and am looking for something I can see in low light conditions. I have a couple of Luminox watches that work great, but I was looking for more of a classic "older" look similar to vintage aviator watches.

When I went to the Lum-Tec site I was really impressed with all the models and prices. I put in an order for a M57 almost immediately. That is one fine looking watch and the orange is really something I consider to be "on the edge." I know, don't laugh, I am 50 after all! Again, I am stepping out a bit it seems as I get older. The quartz movement really appeals to me because I own a half dozen automatics and the exclusivity and mystique wore off years ago. I am no longer a snob when it comes to quartz. I think the company is doing a great job of offering both quartz and mechanical, pleasing everyone in the market no matter where they are in their pursuit of style and functionality.

I bought the M57 sight unseen and am curious about the luminescence of the watch. How long does the watch glow in low light conditions before it needs to be re-charged. Additionally, how long must the luminescence be charged and how soon before it gets dark? These days all my flying is done by midnight and I really need a watch to glow for 4 or 5 hours after sundown. Is this a reasonable expectation from one of these watches?

Also, I love the look of the Bell and Ross BR 01 and have wanted one for years, but the price is ridiculous and I don't need another automatic. Wouldn't you know it, Lum-Tec has the A17 that reminds me of it, well sort of. I realize that all the watch lines are limited runs and likely there has been a model that more closely resembles the Bell and Ross, black with white numbers and index marks. The A17 is the closest of the current models and I am interested in possibly picking one up as well as my M57. However, I am curious how the Phantom crystal performs at night. I really like to wear my watches as opposed to parking them in a show case. I would like to fly with this watch and would really need the luminescence to perform.

Thanks in advance! I am really impressed that an American company is putting out a product that has generated such passion from the watch community. I am looking forward to seeing the product in person!

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
First off welcome to the Lum-Tec forum!

This is just my opinion so take it as that.. I think the A17 is super cool, so only because of the need for bright lume to be used while flying that you mentioned would I not recommended to you the A17 for that purpose. I do not own one, but I have the M42 which uses the same hands and small lume dots in a 3 hand automatic configuration and I don't think it would be a stretch to say that both these watches have the least amount of lume longevity of any current Lum-Tec watch. That's not a knock on the watch, they are called Phantom for a reason and I love my M42, but more so for the overall look of the watch! For an A series chrono with better lume you would be better off with one of the others that remain available,or check the close out page on Lum-Tec.com to see what they might have left. Custom hands or dial swap might be an option too..

On the other hand the M57 you ordered should be really bright with eight layers of lume applied! I'm sure one of the guys will have a real life shot for you from a similar model with the orange markers.

Lum-Tec A17

Lum-Tec M57

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
This my M42 for comparison.

This is about max brightness taken after being hit with a light source for several seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BrianS for the pics. I think I will see how it goes with the M57 and then decide on the A17. I may decide to wear the Phantom when the lum is not critical. I really like the look and your watch is really looks good Sir!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I own a Super Combat B2 and, as a federal agent (now retired), found the this particular model to be especially useful during low-light tactical situations. The 45 mm size and brilliant lume makes it my (most often) go-to watch when night time visibility and easy readability is an issue. Rugged as hell, too. Plus, the titanium case makes it an easy (as in comfortable) watch to wear for extended hours.

The M57 is an excellent choice! You will be very happy. Just know that you will purchase your second LT within six months, or less.

By the way, WELCOME to the LT family. We tend to be a very close knit group here. However, there are those rare occasions that we eat our own, but we do it in a very loving manner.

Welcome aboard, my friend.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
By the way, WELCOME to the LT family. We tend to be a very close knit group here. However, there are those rare occasions that we eat our own, but we do it in a very loving manner.

Welcome aboard, my friend.

OkeefenokeeJoe
I've a bit more meat on me than I should, does this mean I should feel concerned. :huh:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Welcome MatrixSentry to the Lum-Tec family! The family a great group and you will enjoy it here. Your first L-T purchase is a winner and you will enjoy it. It will be interesting to see what your next L-T will be as there will be more than one, I can assure you! :biggrin:

Not only are you buying a quality watch when you buy Lum-Tec, but will get the best customer service in the watch industry. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome, I too have a M57 on order even though I own many Lumtec watches, be warned it is a brand that is very addictive, there like amazing chips when your super hungry you can never just have one. I started with one not even thinking I was going to be a watch collector, now I am, I even need a new case holder, 70% of my watches are Lumtecs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the Lum-Tec forum.

I have an M18 which is one of the older Lum-Tec's, but has similar dial and case to the M57. I find the glow to be great. It doesn't glow as well as my M2 which has the green lume, but compared to other non Lum-Tec watches it is way brighter. I find it glows well in dark rooms, so I sometimes wear this to bed if I want to check the time during the night. I hold it under the lamp for 10-15 secs prior to switching off the lights, say 10pm, and it will still be glowing bright at 6am. If I go and check on the children during the night I can see the time well, even with poor eyesight. If you are using it in a room with the lights off and the TV going you will find its not that bright, but then if you move to a dark room (once your eyes adjust) you will see it glow brightly.

My M18 is the watch that gets most commented on whenever I wear it, it is a great color combination and you will love it. These watches are well built, come with outstanding customer service, look cool and are well loved by those who know of Lum-Tec.

Enjoy.

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Welcome to the mad house! There are a lot of us here that have been captured by the great wates and excellent service. Nice to hear about your new Lum-Tec and would love to see some pics. I'm sure it will be the first of many.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sterlingwatch!

Your description of how the watch performs in the dark was perfect. I am in a dark cockpit 7 miles up so I think it is safe to say that the watch will glow quite nicely! I am psyched and have not been this excited about a new watch in years.

One more question for you old shoes, how often does the company offer new models? I really like the Combat series and would love to see one with the new "black hole" face and perhaps a GMT function that would work perfect for a pilot watch.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Thanks BrianS for the pics. I think I will see how it goes with the M57 and then decide on the A17. I may decide to wear the Phantom when the lum is not critical. I really like the look and your watch is really looks good Sir!
Yeah I like the A17 the best of the remaining Bull's too! It would make an excellent shooting range watch, and the price is right! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
623 Posts
The orange is a fantastic performer. However I would not recommend going on a flight relying on the days ambient charging to get you through. Take a bright flashlight and hold it up to the face of the watch for 30 seconds or minute before you take off. Then you'll get your 5 hours and more no problem. My all time record reading the watch in my avatar is eleven hours after charge. But I woke up in pitch black and had totally adjusted eyes so that's not quite a real world scenario. After an hour it will be dimmer than your luminox but they have staying power and fade slowly after the initial drop. Just give it a pre charge and you'll get much better performance. It's definitely readable 5 hours out and more.

Not to mention these things look amazing in the daylight, the color is incredibly vibrant and bright. I had a guy in a well lit business office tell me my watch looked like it was glowing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.