WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Everyone,

I just picked up my new Seamaster Professional 2531.80.00 2 days ago from my local AD. Included in the box was the watch, the warranty card, and COSC card from Omega.

I was disappointed to find the owners manual was not included. I called the AD after getting home with my new purchase. They are going to try to mail me the owners manual. No paperwork regarding the COSC testing process was included. Is this paperwork supposed to accompany the watch when sold through an authorized AD?

The watch is everything I hoped it would be. So far, it has remained accurate to about 2 seconds/day. I will be interested to see if the watch maintains this level of accuracy.

This is my first chronometer. I have a Ball Master Engineer II Diver, which I also love. It is not a chronometer, but has been accurate enough, in the 11 months I have owned it to pass the test.

Any advice would be appreciated... Should I give the AD some time to come up with a manual or should I go ahead and contact Omega? I feel like the AD gave me a reasonable deal (20% off retail on the watch), but I am disappointed by the lack of an owners manual and the documentation from the COSC testing process.

The lume on the Seamaster is amazing when freshly charged, but is too dim by morning for me to be able to read the watch as morning approaches. I have become accustomed to the lume of the Ball Diver. It really is wonderful to be able to glance at a watch any time during the night and be able to see the time clearly.

I really enjoy reading posts from all of you more experienced watch collectors. Maybe I will feel like I can talk at your level after more time to learn about the watdhes I find so wonderful.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom,

Happy New Year,
Diver

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You can download the manual from the Omega site while you are waiting for the hard copy.
I believe you will have to order the COSC certificate from Omega. The link to do this that I had no longer works.

John

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Bummer!

I can't believe the AD left out the manual. Omega ships everything separately and the AD has to put it all together each time. Leaving out the manual is a bad "dunderhead" mistake. If he has other Omegas in stock he should have a manual for each. The manual is the same for all models so he can just reach on the shelf and hand you one.

You should also have three red plastic cards; Chronometer Certificate, International Warranty, and Pictograms. Send a scan of your completed warranty card to [email protected] and request your COSC documentation. Be sure to include your mailing address and you should receive it in the mail in 2-3 weeks.

As to the lume, that is the reason I went with the sword hands rather than the skeleton. My tired old eyes need all the lume they can get. :001_tongue:

Regardless, I am sure things will sort out and you will enjoy your new watch.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats on your new watch! You're very fortunate to have tracked down a brand new 2531.80-they've been discontinued for quite a while now and is one of the most highly sought after watches in the US market.

To fully maximize the luminosity of my 2254, I find it very helpful to charge up the Superluminova hour markers under any fluorescent lamp for 30 to 45 seconds. Hold the watch just an inch away from the light source when you do so. The interaction between the lume material on the watch towards fluorescent lighting is just remarkable! My glows like a supernova after I charge it this way. In comparison, incandescent lamps are inferior in accomplishing this objective, and I find that the result when using them is always an unevenly distributed glow strength across the face of the watch.

I wouldn't worry too much about the missing manual. The AD should have plenty of spare ones that they could give you. Besides, while it looks bulky and full of information, it's just the same few pages of elementary watch information repeated in countless languages. My opinion has always been that if you've read any watch manual at all, you've read them all...

Enjoy your new watch, and I hope you visit this site often to chat with us.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
As others have said, the manual is available as a PDF from Omega's website. But if you have even the slightest ounce of common sense, you don't really need it for the 2531.80. The only complication is the date and setting it is like on any other watch.

As for the lume, I have never had an issue with it. Most of the forum are aware my last job involved me waking up around 1:30am so I needed to be able to tell the time should I wake up before my alarm went off. My mobile phone tended to light up the room which resulted in a dig in the ribs from my wife. The SMP, even with its skeleton hands, was always legible. Fr John and Roger (beamon) have both mentioned in the past that the skeleton hands are hard to see in the dark (nothing to do with their mature years :lol: ) but I have a theory on this. If you are used to sword, ba or batton hands, the skeleton hands can seem odd. But if like me you have relied solely on the skeleton hands, you get used to them and they seem very clear as you have nothing to compare them too.

I took this picture one morning on my way to work. The watch had only been "charged" with my kitchen lights. They are just 4 x 40w bulbs. As you can see, it shone superbly.

I doubt you'll have any issues wit your new watch. I haven't. And I'm sure we all wish you the best with your new timepiece.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice

Thank you all for your great advice and knoweledge. I will be relying on you all for the forseeable future.

I agree the skeleton hands are not a problem. I have seen reviews where reviewers say the hands nearly disappear at some angles. I have no trouble seeing there the hands are at any angle. I am not able to read the lume after being in the dark for 8 hours, so my Ball Diver will probably remain my regular night watch.

Other than the lume, I can't imagine anything I could possibly improve on with the Seamaster. I feel very lucky to have it and plan on having it for the rest of my days.

Happy New Year to all,
Diver::)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Fr John and Roger (beamon) have both mentioned in the past that the skeleton hands are hard to see in the dark (nothing to do with their mature years :lol: )
Were it only not true, Fergie. :crying: Can't speak for Fr. John, but in my case the "mature years" are certainly the culprit. Nascent and incipient cataracts, though still not bad enough to warrant the procedure, are dulling my vision to enough of an extent that things like watch hands are more easily read when they're bigger!

Someday, down the line when the procedure is done, I'll be into those skeleton hands at about the time when you young bucks are starting to manufacture your own cataracts. :wink: How's that for rationalization?

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Hi There Mr Diver

MANY CONGRATULATIONS

Sounds like you have quite a find there my friend. Glad you've proven some of the reviewers wrong. As you know there are those who use their journalistic licence to place a slant on matters :001_rolleyes: Hope you'll continue to enjoy your 2531.80 and indeed that you'll be able to share in the talk and fun we have here on a daily basis.

Best WIShes for the new year to you too

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Were it only not true, Fergie. :crying: Can't speak for Fr. John, but in my case the "mature years" are certainly the culprit. Nascent and incipient cataracts, though still not bad enough to warrant the procedure, are dulling my vision to enough of an extent that things like watch hands are more easily read when they're bigger!

Someday, down the line when the procedure is done, I'll be into those skeleton hands at about the time when you young bucks are starting to manufacture your own cataracts. :wink: How's that for rationalization?
I'll get my coat and leave, once I remove my foot from my mouth and climb out of this hole I've dug for myself :blush:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'll get my coat and leave, once I remove my foot from my mouth and climb out of this hole I've dug for myself :blush:
No, no, don't do that! I'm just acknowledging how true it is. Actually, getting along is kinda fun as long as you have your health. I don't consider cataracts a health problem. They're merely an inconvenience that interferes with my appreciation of some watches. :blink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts