1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Merry xmas to you all.
Great forum!
I received my EXPII a few days ago and just noticed that the date changes when the hour and minute hand is at 12:04 am.
My other watches changes exactly at 12:00 am.
Is this normal for the date to change past the 12 am mark ?
Would appreciate some inputs.

Cheers.
Capri

·
Registered
215 Posts
Date change past 00min

Hello Capri,

This is perfectly normal. My SS Gmt MasterII ceramic changes past 3-5mins, My TwoTone blue ceramic sub changes past 4mis, and my new 42mm ExplorerII changes past 2-4 mins. So all I can say is enjoy you watch. It's a fine timepice!.

Ed

·
Registered
26 Posts
That doesn't sound right to me. :001_unsure: Maybe it needs a slight adjustment. My DateJust flips the date exactly at 12 o'clock.

Odin

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
It should be within + or - two minutes at 12:00..

It should be within + or - two minutes at 12:00..that is what my service R manuals submit is acceptable.

But in my opinion if the this issue does not worsen, leave the watch as is.

The hardest part for me when I set the hands on the dial of any GMT or Exp 11 is getting the minute hand situated to spring the date wheel at exactly at 12:00. This issue happens at Rolex as well.

Some technical background on the proper way to set the GMT or Exp II hands alignment on the dial.

First the watchmaker has to set the hour hand on the dial to change the date wheel at exactly at 12:00, then the GMT hour hand to do the same task. Now the GMT and hour hand have be perfectly aligned on top of each other to spring the date change. I rotate the hands a few times around the dial, I make sure as I approach the 12:00 mark that the date click happens as the 24 hour hand lines up over the hour hand. Of course I use the hand pusher to set each hand to stay put when all is setting the 12:00 hand change.

Once that part is correct, the minute hand is next, which I place over the 24 hour hand with just enough pressure to keep it form dropping off the minute cannon pinion, and then spin the hand slowly around till I approach the 12:00 mark. If I did my set up of the 24 and hour hand correctly all should work correctly and a date click should happen at 12:00. But if not then I have to move to slide the minute hand right to left to adjust the click date timing. I still sometimes come up short or positive a minute or two from the 12:00 mark. It takes a while to reset the while procedure to make it perfect. Then I use the hand pusher to push down the minute and second hand in order to stay put.

This hand alignment is still a human effort at any watch factory. So error is evident, thus the accepted error of plus or minus 2 minutes of the minute hand.

Bottom line is that the plastic or sapphire crystal GMT and it's derivative models in regard to hand alignment and date change is a colossal pain in the ass for a watchmaker.

So I hope one can get a better idea of how this error comes about.
Arthur

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It's normal. Don't sweat it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts