WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

New Pilots

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  muttley 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I'm just appalled at what they've done to the once glorious Pilot watches.

What in the world is this trend of showing more than one date in the aperture?

Do watch companies think we're all so dumb we can't figure out that yesterday was 17th and tomorrow will be the 19th?

These watches are utterly grotesque. :crying:

#8 ·
I'm not going to say you're wrong, but this has been a growing trend in watches for five years or more and it didn't start to my knowledge with pilot's watches.

Besides, the aperture on the aircraft gauge doesn't appear to show numerals, especially sequential numerals.

Whatever the reason, it's only one aspect of the new IWC pilot's watches that is just ghastly.

I've been waiting for years to buy one of the pilot's watches, but of course, I can't just go out and buy all the watches I want at one time.

Maybe, I can find a Mark XV in good condition.

That was when IWC pilot's watches a cool, retro factor that was maxed out.

#9 ·
I'm not going to say you're wrong, but this has been a growing trend in watches for five years or more and it didn't start to my knowledge with pilot's watches.

Besides, the aperture on the aircraft gauge doesn't appear to show numerals, especially sequential numerals.

Whatever the reason, it's only one aspect of the new IWC pilot's watches that is just ghastly.
Well, one thing is for sure, I didn't make that up. That picture, with the red arrow and all, was posted by an official representative of IWC on their official forum back in 2006 when they introduced the ceramic doppel which, I believe, was the first IWC pilot's watch with the 3-date window. It is purportedly the instrument cluster from a Junkers JU-52, an example of which is sponsored by IWC.

#6 ·
I'm a big fan of the IWC Pilot watches, although I'm still on the fence in regards to the multiple date windows.

Does anyone know what will happen to stores still holding the old models?

Do these get sent back, or are the stockists likley to offer a deal on the old versions?

#7 ·
Does anyone know what will happen to stores still holding the old models?
Do these get sent back, or are the stockists likley to offer a deal on the old versions?
There is no rule of thumb regarding discontinued models. Most AD's will keep them and try to sell them. There are always people who would prefer an older model over the newer releases. In fact, that's what happened when IWC discontinued the 42 mm Ingenieur. People rushed out and bought all the remaining stock because they didn't like the new 46 mm case sizes.

#10 · (Edited)
I have to back track on my statements about the new IWC pilot's watches.

I was having trouble navigating the site and finally found the regular series of pilot's watches, which aside from the multi-date aperture are in keeping with the traditional models and do not deviate from the classical designs so much as to make them hideous.

I do prefer much about the older series, but the new ones are such that I would consider purchasing one.

This would be one example.

http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/pilots/IW3777/

The larger sizes are not really my cup of tea, but still within what I consider normal limits.

#11 ·
One of the reasons I bought the pilot chronograph was because of it's simplicity to read at a glance. I love the simple elegance of the watch face. It looks like it means business.

Although the new series aren't ugly, I do feel they're beginning to look a little cluttered, which would put me off personally.

#12 ·
I love the size of the new Mark XVII, I think it would fit my wrist better than the 39mm (but that wouldn't stop me from owning an XVI at the right price).
The triple date window is neither here nor there for me, but I think once on the wrist you would get used to it very fast, and it certainly would not put me off in the slightest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.