WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
found this little guy at my watchmakers. its pretty cool, its an 80s "gruen" (if you can even call it a gruen) quartz chrono.i am having a hard time getting it to work lol. it was cheap so i had to pop on it and it has a cool movement. it has two batteries, one for the time and the other for the chrono. and its marked "national ebauch co. ltd" it seems the hour and minute dials on the chrono don't work but the seconds does.

it was cheap so i grabbed it, better pics tomorrow

the better pics i promised

and the odd movement

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Neat watch! I have a Bucherer with a very similar movement and pusher arrangement.
oh btw, how does the chrono work? im having trouble getting mine to work. i think its user error tho lol. and how does yours re calibrate? and do you know what the movement is? i cant find anything about it. and what year is yours?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Interesting, I just opened mine up to see what exact movement it has, and I don't see any ID for the chrono complication. The base movement on my Bucherer is a 1 jewel Harley Rona 763, but I'll be darned if I can find any markings on the chronograph. Looking closer, it appears yours has a different movement - similar, but definitely not the same. The Bucherer is labeled as swiss made, perhaps the Gruen uses a Hong Kong copy of the Ronda? Unfortunately it seems the battery running the chrono has died, and I can't recall exactly how the hands are set. IIRC, you puch & hold the two buttons at 2 & 4:00 until all three hand rotat around 360 deg. Push button @ 10:00 to move the "60 min. hand", the one @ 2"00 to set the "1/10th sec hand", and the one at 4:00 to set the "60 sec hand". Once all are set to zero, push & hold the 2 & 4:00 buttons again, until all three hands spin around 180 deg., and you should be good. There are a few variations on this theme, sometimes the crown needs to be pulled out first, or you may need to hold the 10 & 4:00 buttons to set it, but this is basically how it works. :huh:

...Oh yeah, when you push the buttons once, quickly, it moves a hand by one "step", or increment, but if you hold the button down a little longer, the hand will start to motor around until you let up.
Have fun! :lol:

Sorry the picture is a bit blurry, I took it with my phone through a loop!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Interesting, I just opened mine up to see what exact movement it has, and I don't see any ID for the chrono complication. The base movement on my Bucherer is a 1 jewel Harley Rona 763, but I'll be darned if I can find any markings on the chronograph. Looking closer, it appears yours has a different movement - similar, but definitely not the same. The Bucherer is labeled as swiss made, perhaps the Gruen uses a Hong Kong copy of the Ronda? Unfortunately it seems the battery running the chrono has died, and I can't recall exactly how the hands are set. IIRC, you puch & hold the two buttons at 2 & 4:00 until all three hand rotat around 360 deg. Push button @ 10:00 to move the "60 min. hand", the one @ 2"00 to set the "1/10th sec hand", and the one at 4:00 to set the "60 sec hand". Once all are set to zero, push & hold the 2 & 4:00 buttons again, until all three hands spin around 180 deg., and you should be good. There are a few variations on this theme, sometimes the crown needs to be pulled out first, or you may need to hold the 10 & 4:00 buttons to set it, but this is basically how it works. :huh:

...Oh yeah, when you push the buttons once, quickly, it moves a hand by one "step", or increment, but if you hold the button down a little longer, the hand will start to motor around until you let up.
Have fun! :lol:
thanks! lol. i believe it has the Hong Kong probably a swiss parts copy. my base movement has one jewel too (like thats going to do any good :001_tt2:0 bucherer? thats not Carl f. bucherer is it? and what year? (if you remember that is) it appears my second hand on the chrono is the only thing that works lol. maybe ill source a new one if i can ever find it.

EDIT: it sems that your ronda is diferent but the chrono is exactly the same. this is odd. we need to dig deep and find info lol.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, it's the same Bucherer... they have recently moved upscale, but they used to make a wide ranging line spanning from inexpensive quartz models up to very fine mechanical divers, and chronos. They were also the US distributor for Rolex for a good part of the sixties. I have two others, both automatics, one a gold date chronometer from mid seventies, the other a smaller ss model with a nice silver dial. I think the older ones are generally underrated, the newer ones may be a little overrated. :lol:
I'd guess my watch is probably from the early to mid '80s, but I bought it used, only about 10 years ago, and have no way to be sure of it's age. The Ronda 763 is an inexpensive (like $5-$10) readily available movement, but I have no idea about the chrono complication.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clifford Moore said:
Yes, it's the same Bucherer... they have recently moved upscale, but they used to make a wide ranging line spanning from inexpensive quartz models up to very fine mechanical divers, and chronos. They were also the US distributor for Rolex for a good part of the sixties. I have two others, both automatics, one a gold date chronometer from mid seventies, the other a smaller ss model with a nice silver dial. I think the older ones are generally underrated, the newer ones may be a little overrated. :lol:
I'd guess my watch is probably from the early to mid '80s, but I bought it used, only about 10 years ago, and have no way to be sure of it's age. The Ronda 763 is an inexpensive (like $5-$10) readily available movement, but I have no idea about the chrono complication.
Wow! Good info, Thanks! My watchmaker said it was 80s so I'm glad yours matched up lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts