WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ball has just released a new model in its Engineer Master II line-up: The GCT "Grand Central Time"

Specs:
Automatic Ball Calibre 651
15 tubes (The hands are yellow-tubed and the markers are green (except 12, which is red).
Magnified Big Date
2nd Time zone
100m Water Resistance
44mm Diameter
13.3mm Height
Comes with choice of bracelet or leather

Check out the caseback!

By the way, this watch is hidden (no hyperlink) on the Asian language pages of Ballwatch.com, but live-linked on the English page. I'm wondering if the webmaster accidentally made the English link go "live" before the official Basel release.

What do you think?

I am a big fan of Ball's increasing use of yellow-tubed hands with blue- or green-tubed markers. I think that the color difference between the lume of hands and markers makes it much easier to quickly read the time at night. My Fireman Victory has a yellow/blue arrangement, which I love.

Rob

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
~tc~ said:
Which ETA movement is Ball 651?
I think it's the 2824. I wouldn't think that ball would put the thin but much less robust 2892 in they're watches. But I could be wrong...as I have been before :lol:

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
roberev said:
Caliber 651 is built on an ETA 2892 with added modules for the big date and second time zone.

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Guess I was wrong then lol. I have always been under the impression that the 2892 was frail and fragile compared to the 2824. And that Ball was a tough "workhorse" watch

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Oooh...I like the magnified date feature. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I was wrong then lol. I have always been under the impression that the 2892 was frail and fragile compared to the 2824. And that Ball was a tough "workhorse" watch
Sadly, I do not know much about movements. I note that John has mentioned in past reviews that the 2892 movement actually is pretty good, is used by many high-end brands, and is particularly suited for the addition of modules (such as big date and second time zone).

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts