WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I inherited my fathers watch years ago and I'm finally able to it back into running shape. My mother gave it to my father as a engagement gift, so I know it's maybe from the late 60's? The numbers on it that I can see is E 35162 and M8 is below that. Maybe somebody can tell me what variant it might be. Who do you guys generally trust with repairs for 214's? It means so much to me, I just want to send it to the right repair shop for repair.

Thanks,

Lwick74
214.jpg

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Welcome! Hope we can help. Where are you located?

Your father's watch looks like a very nice example of a Spaceview Model "H" made in 1968. M='60 and 8=1968. The case number can be found on the inside of the back. Yours looks like a 2387. The movement is indeed a 214 and it takes a 387S battery. Take care!! The battery is installed with the engraved side down. Get help if not sure.

Will send PM on my repair recommendation.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You are a lucky man, you have inherited a beauty !! It's a 1968 made in America Spaceview. I have about 40 tuning fork Accutrons and can give you the identity of the guy to whom I trust them for repair, he is located in about the middle of the USA, if you'd like.
They are nowhere near as fragile as you may have been told. Once you get it serviced and running it will need a battery about once per year and can give years of accurate service.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Welcome to the awakening of your Accutron. :biggrin: In addition to the above good info, I can tell you that your Spaceview is called a Chapter Ring Spaceview. It's case is solid stainless steel - which means the many small scratches it might have can be polished out and brought back to near new cosmetic condition. You can read back through the threads here to gain other insight into Bulova Accutron tuning fork watches - produced from Oct 1960 through 1977.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies and information about my Father's Spaceview! So far I contacted Martin Marcus who I've seen mentioned in other posts. I'm going to send MyBob.net an email now. I think I'm going to get it fully restored, not just repaired. Is it worth getting it adjusted for the new style batteries or should I leave it alone?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I run all of my 214's but one on the newer easily available 387s batteries. I have one that runs just a little fast unless I use an Accucell.
If you get a chance, I think most of us Spaceview fans would like to know the case number from for the inside of the back cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run all of my 214's but one on the newer easily available 387s batteries. I have one that runs just a little fast unless I use an Accucell.
If you get a chance, I think most of us Spaceview fans would like to know the case number from for the inside of the back cover.
Sure, how do I take off the back cover?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sure, how do I take off the back cover?
With a Bulova "L" wrench. If you don't have that tool , leave it be you will only cause damage if you try to open it with a cheap 2 or 3 point wrench. Then you willl have ruined your fathers watch for good. Leave it to a pro if you have never fooled with Accutrons before

1 - 8 of 8 Posts