WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this forum, and signed up today. I have a question about winders. I own 3 Subs, and am asking for advise about your choices. Any suggestions?
Also, what is general opinion about keeping a watch wound and running, verses sitting in a drawer not running and winding only when you wear it? Once I figure out how to post photos, I'll join in with the rest of you showing your collections.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
20,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I love winders and own a couple of Orbita winders currently:

Welcome to WTF and the Rolex forum!

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I always enjoy seeing everyone's opinion when this comes up. Reminds me of the tastes great / less filling debate; republican vs democrat, Redskins vs Cowboys, Packers/Bears, Pats/Colts....etc.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Welcome to WTF Bob.

It is kind of weird how often this question has come up in the last couple weeks.

Anyway, if I had an automatic that didn't have a date complication I probably wouldn't put it on a winder, but mine do so I like having the option to use one. It's a little too inconvenient when your on the run to have to figure out if your watch had stopped on AM or PM, set the time, and then set the date.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
I'm not a fan of winders. Don't think you really need them. You can manually wind your watches once a month (or more frequently) and achieve the same effect. Takes up less space and money, too.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I have only 4 watches, three autos, one quartz. Two of my three autos are dateless. If I had more autos, I'd get a winder, but so far, it hasn't been a problem to me. My dateless models are easy to wind/reset. My GMT II is a pain to reset, but I live with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks for warm welcome. Another question about winders.....Does it matter which direction you set it for? Does it matter to the weight inside the watch which direction it rotates? Does one direction wind and one is a slip-clutch and produce no winding affect? How can both directions of the weight wind, or tighten, the hair-spring?
Confused,
Bob

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Thanks for warm welcome. Another question about winders.....Does it matter which direction you set it for? Does it matter to the weight inside the watch which direction it rotates? Does one direction wind and one is a slip-clutch and produce no winding affect? How can both directions of the weight wind, or tighten, the hair-spring?
Confused,
Bob
Hi Bob - Rolex rotors are bi-directional and I've always been of the feeling that using a winder with the capability of winding in both directions is best - it makes for more even wear on the winding system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts